[SCA-JML] Leather and Japanese Armor

  • Kev Fitzpatrick
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 9, 1999
      Could someone please enlighten me as to the use (if
      any) of leather in Japanese armor (e.g. cuir boulli)?

      Kevin

      =====

    • Joshua Badgley
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 10, 1999
        On Tue, 9 Nov 1999, Kev Fitzpatrick wrote:

        > Could someone please enlighten me as to the use (if
        > any) of leather in Japanese armor (e.g. cuir boulli)?

        From what I have seen, leather was used quite extensively in Japanese
        armours. First, I have noticed it apparently used as a backing for many
        of the metal armours that I have seen, acting as a kind of padding, or so
        it appeared (I wasn't able to handle it, unfortunately, just what I
        noticed through the glass). Furthermore, I believe that kozone were often
        laquered leather or rawhide ( I don't have my sources and it was hard to
        be certain, so please look this up for accuracy).

        Finally, I do know that leather strapping was used to hold and tie
        everything together (along with silk).

        Come to think of it, I believe that Arms and Armour of the Samurai, by Ian
        Bottomley and Stephen Turnbull, has at least one fully leather suit of
        armour in it. Consult it for more info.

        -Godric Logan

        PS- Seeing as how I am in Japan, does anyone have names of good Japanese
        books to check for in the local library? Anything would be appreciated