Re: Patterns....

    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 12, 2004
      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "esquire122" <watkijm@a...> wrote:
      > Hello Everyone,
      >
      > Effingham writes:
      > >Why? I'm sorry, but this makes no sense. Think of the comparable
      > >European model. "I'm doing Agincourt or a tournament, but I want to
      > >look like I'm at a feast instead of in the field."
      >
      > Perhaps it is my lack of expertise in Japanese history and culture
      > that is the cause of confusion. For this, I apologize.

      There's nothing to apologize for.

      <snip>

      > A Katana would look out of place with European battlefield garb
      > so I began to investigate the possibility of a Japanese persona and
      > clothing so that it would complement the katana and not clash.
      > I am afraid, owing to my lack of knowledge of Japanese culture
      > and history that I may not speak precisely enough to be
      > understood. I simply like the look of a fighter on the battlefield
      > who shows no armor but you "understand" it is worn under garb.

      Ah. You should probably watch a couple of films (I recommend "Ran,"
      "Kagemusha," and "Samurai Banners" as big-budget battle-fests to see
      what a Japanese battlefield looks like. As a rule, you don't fight
      without armour, unless you're caught up in a street brawl of some sort.

      > If the Edo period is out of SCA period, then I understand. I will
      > try to do more research before asking questions so that at least
      > they will be framed with a more appropriate understanding of how I
      > wish to appear on the battlefield, if I indeed pursue a Japanese
      > battlefied persona as I have desired.

      Pshaw! (I think that's how it's spelled. <G>) Ask away! There are
      several ways to find out things, and one of the easier ones is to ask
      for direction, info, and help. If you hadn't asked, you wouldn't have
      known. <G>

      Most of us are rather helpful, though I can be a bit... um... spicy at
      times.