Learning Japanese (was:Re: Re: [SCA-JML] Name documentation)

  • Ichikawa Masako(S. Jordan)
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 10, 2004
      You might also try
      http://www.yesjapan.com/
      It is a subscription site but i have used it off and on lots of
      audio files to HEAR the way things are to pronounced ect.

      Masako

      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Rae Lahman <tsukiko_gozen@y...>
      wrote:
      > this might help.....
      >
      > http://www.japanese-online.com/
      >
      > it would be modern, of course, but if that's what you're trying to
      read anyway, that's all to the good, i guess. if nothing else, it's
      fun. :)

      > tsukiko
      >

      > > Which brings me to a question I have. In my pursuit of all
      things
      > > Temari-related (information especially) I've run into the
      language barrier.
      > > While Babelfish is O.K. for websites, it surely does not help me
      in other
      > > areas. Can anyone reccomend a good program (audio, pc) for
      learning spoken
      > > Japanese, and more importantly learning kanji? I have a couple
      of books in
      > > which I can decipher the diagrams, but cannot read the text at
      all. Any
      > > suggestions would be most appreciated.
      >
      > Unfortunately, I know of nothing that will help someone learn
      Japanese online.
      > There is one site that has been useful in the past, though:
      Rikai.com.

      > You plug in the URL of a Japanese page into the Japanese->English
      page of Rikai,
      > and the page opens up again. As you pass your cursor over the
      words, a little
      > dictionary popup tells you what the word is and means. If you
      don't know the
      > basic grammar and vocab, though (it ignores most sections of
      hiragana), you're
      > toast. But if you have limited kanji ability, Rikai's a godsend.
      >
      > Effingham

      Service.