Re: kydex armoring question

  • Marko Peussa
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 5, 2004
      Sorry, don't really know about Kydex, but,

      Whatever you do, ask for some free samples of different thickness and
      try them out first. It's a good plan to practice with smaller pieces
      to find out how they handle in your specific application.

      Try out what is the temperature and time needed in your convection
      oven for the pieces to soften. See if they tend to stick on the
      support surface, in that case use some ordinary teflon coated baking
      paper. Find out which kind of gloves you need to handle the pieces,
      and how fast they cool down and get stiff again. Test if you need to
      hold the pieces in place when they are cooling. See if there is a
      need for wooden or steel plate forms for cooling.

      Try to find out the oven temperature and time which is needed to get
      the pieces just a little bit soft. At this temperature you can bend
      them and they will keep shape after cooling. I use this temp to curve
      the plates in one direction, or to fit the plate curvature to my body.

      Try to find out the second temperature and time to make the pieces
      floppy. At this temperature one can make cup-like shapes by suitable
      shaping aids. Or, it is possible to make patterns to the plastic
      surface. Having the pieces in this temperature will reset and remove
      any previous shapes. This is great if you need to make rework.

      I have been able to do something like kiritsuke zane to ABS plates,
      and I can just say that this way of working will greatly reduce the
      time needed to make a 'fake' lamellar for SCA combat.

      I have a Mongol 'fake' lamellar coming up. For a photo of the shaped
      back and shoulder plates, please have a look at:

      http://www.kolumbus.fi/marko.peussa/PCDV0009.JPG

      There are a couple of stainless steel forms in the photo, too. I
      shaped these to my body first, and then bent the plastics on the
      forms by hand.

      Regards,

      Klaus

      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Matt L <mattlew@b...> wrote:
      > I have a question for Date-dono and others who have worked with
      kydex. I
      > have found a convient local source for purchacing sheet kydex, and
      have
      > intention of building my armor SOON. my plans arte to make a Go-Mai
      Mogami
      > Haramaki Do and matching Sode. I am presently requesting samples of
      lace
      > from the various companies people have listed here in recent posts,
      and
      > will be getting my materials together as soon as they arive, but I
      need to
      > know a couple things.
      >
      > First and perhapse mosty importantly: How thick should the Kydex
      (tm) be? I
      > will be using actual kydex, not ABS (which a number of people call
      kydex),
      > nor chemical barrel (which suffers the same misidentification of
      ABS) I
> [...]
      did you
      > use an alternative method? (I know using a heat gun is an option,
      but it
      > sounds like more time consuming and less even method of heating the
      plates.

      > third, what would you reccomend for shaping of the plates? (as in
      molding
      > thier curvature in)
      >
      > fourth: do I recall past conversations on the list that commented
      that
      > using a punch while more percise than a drill has a binding problem
      in
      > plastics? what form of a punch are you talking about using? (hollow
      or
      > solid) or if a drill is prefered (yes I have access to a drill
      press, band
      > saw, table saw, radial arm saw, etc at a friends work shop... just
      not good
      > metal working tools beyond a sawz all) I am reading in the pamplet
      that the
      > supplier gave me "Kydex can be drilled with a standard metal
      cutting drill.
      > The drill should be aloud to fead itself and not be forced into the
      > material. modified drills dubbed off to zero rake angles are
      prefered" now
      > the only place I know rake angles from is motorcycles where it
      indicates
      > the angle of the steering neck... and it has something to do with
      saw
      > blades that I am forgetting the details of at the moment, but how
      is it
      > aplicable to drill bits, and what would I have to modify to achieve
      this?

      > for cutting curved sections, they recomend a straight flute router
      bit or
      > band saw (both of which I have), but I was wondering if I can find
      the
      > right size router bit would that work as an alternate to the drill
      bit? I
      > know they can be used for such a purpose in wood, so I see no
      reason other
      > than melting that it would not be usable for kydex.
      >
      > finaly does anyone have any experience with painting kydex? the
      website has
      > some info on it, but I checked with several local suppliers and was
      not
      > able to find the paints they reccomended... (I figure even if the
      paint
      > isn't available in the color I want, it should be able to serve as
      a primer
      > to which my prefered colors might adhear)... unfortunatly if I can
      not find
      > a suitable base paint which will adhear to the kydex, I may have a
      problem.
      > my suppliuer can not get it in the color I want, and the only
      options that
      > come close to any documented color is black and brick red...
      (neither of

      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 9, 2004
        Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou Yukiie wrote:

        > It seems you have done a fair amount of research and are on
        > your way - I will respond off list to you about the questions you
        > have asked so we don't clog other's e-mails and bandwidth...

        Are you insane?

        Do this HERE. In the group. So that *everyone* can benefit from the exchange. <G>

        Effingham
      • Matt L
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 9, 2004
          rest assured effingham-donoI will build a composit of the information and
          post it to the group... (probably in the files section so I can include the
          PDF's from kleerdex with the tech data or atleast links directly to the
          nessicary info)

          yoshimasa

          Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou Yukiie wrote:

          > It seems you have done a fair amount of research and are on
          > your way - I will respond off list to you about the questions you
          > have asked so we don't clog other's e-mails and bandwidth...

          Are you insane?

          Do this HERE. In the group. So that *everyone* can benefit from the
          exchange. <G>

          Yahoo! Groups Links