Garb questions

  • Tim McShane
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 4, 2004
      Greetings, all;

      Has anyone on the list ever made tattsuke-bakama? I really like the look of them, and seems like a good choice to wear under armour, but I'm a bit confused about how the lower legs are formed. Should the legs start out as regular, full-length hakama, then pleated and sewn to make the tighter fit, or should they be shorter hakama with another piece (essentially, kyahan) sewn on the bottom? If the latter, how is the wider leg gathered to graft on to the lower piece--several large pleats, or an evenly-spread gathering? Are the lower portions split up the inside, outside or back, and how many ties would be used to close them? Would the ties be tied off at the front?

      Also, I'm thinking of making a samurai-eboshi after Effingham-dono's pattern, using spray paint to simulate laquer--has anyone else tried this, and if so, what was your experience? I'd like to line the eboshi as well--should the lining be as like the outer shell, and folded the same, or should it be a more closely-fitted cap? Any suggestions on how to make the twisted paper ties for the eboshi?

      Many thanks from my humble self;

      - Shiro

      P.S. The advice I got from the list regarding period tabi worked great--I'd like to get the pattern and directions down on my next pair or two, then hopefully submit them to the Files section of the website. Thanks, everyone!