Re: Rice starching experiment...

  • Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou Yukiie
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 4, 2004
      Makiwara-hime,

      You may find balsa too soft to work well. A harder wood, like boxwood
      may be more suitable. The grain is tighter and won't be as likely to
      split on you - I know because I tried it with little luck.
      When I moved to boxwood, it worked much better. Good luck!

      Date Saburou Yukiie
      Yama Kaminari Ryu

      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "makiwara_no_yetsuko"
      <makiwara_no_yetsuko@y...> wrote:
      > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Ii Saburou <logan@m...> wrote:
      > > Looking for a way to add body to my silk garments, I've gone
      > through a
      > > rudimentary rice starching experiment.
      >
      > Thanks for posting this! I may have to try it. In the meantime, I am
      > going to muck around with balsa and rice paper this weekend and see
      > how difficult or easy it would be to construct a folding fan. I'll
      > report my results next week.
      >
      > Makiwara
    • Ii Saburou
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 4, 2004
        Well, my iron does have a 'squirt' feature, which is probably for this
        reason, here.

        Hmmmm....

        -Ii

      • Elaine Koogler
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 4, 2004
          Yup...it will work for that. The only difference is that once Mama had
          sprinkled a garment, she rolled it up until she finished sprinkling the
          rest of what needed ironing. This allowed for the water to soak through
          and dampen the entire garment. Again, I don't know that this would make
          a difference, but thought I'd let you know.

          Kiri

        • makiwara_no_yetsuko
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 5, 2004
            --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou
            Yukiie" <kabuto@c...> wrote:
            > Makiwara-hime,
            >
            > You may find balsa too soft to work well. A harder wood, like
            boxwood
            > may be more suitable.

            Not sure where to find it locally. Let's see how much of a mess I
            make with the balsa first. ;-> I do, however, know where I can get
            bamboo....

            Makiwara
          • makiwara_no_yetsuko
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 6, 2004
              <makiwara_no_yetsuko@y...> wrote:
              > Not sure where to find it locally. Let's see how much of a mess I
              > make with the balsa first. ;-> I do, however, know where I can get
              > bamboo....

              Update, Saturday noonish:

              1. I got nice clean cuts in the balsa with an Exacto knife. Lightly
              sanding will neaten up any rough edges from being scored. I'm about
              to find out whether they're going to split when I try drilling the
              pivot holes.

              2. I was able to determine size of the paper pieces by scribing an
              arc the size I want at the lower end, cutting the paper and folding
              it in even increments, then trimming the top end to size. I'm keeping
              this bit as a template and have traced out the dimensions on the
              sketch pad papers to be decorated.

              I'll keep you posted.

              Makiwara