Re: Rice starching experiment...

  • makiwara_no_yetsuko
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 4, 2004
      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Ii Saburou <logan@m...> wrote:
      > Looking for a way to add body to my silk garments, I've gone
      through a
      > rudimentary rice starching experiment.

      Thanks for posting this! I may have to try it. In the meantime, I am
      going to muck around with balsa and rice paper this weekend and see
      how difficult or easy it would be to construct a folding fan. I'll
      report my results next week.

      Makiwara
    • Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou Yukiie
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 4, 2004
        Makiwara-hime,

        You may find balsa too soft to work well. A harder wood, like boxwood
        may be more suitable. The grain is tighter and won't be as likely to
        split on you - I know because I tried it with little luck.
        When I moved to boxwood, it worked much better. Good luck!

        Date Saburou Yukiie
        Yama Kaminari Ryu

        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "makiwara_no_yetsuko"
        <makiwara_no_yetsuko@y...> wrote:
        > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Ii Saburou <logan@m...> wrote:
        > > Looking for a way to add body to my silk garments, I've gone
        > through a
        > > rudimentary rice starching experiment.
        >
        > Thanks for posting this! I may have to try it. In the meantime, I am
        > going to muck around with balsa and rice paper this weekend and see
        > how difficult or easy it would be to construct a folding fan. I'll
        > report my results next week.
        >
        > Makiwara
      • Ii Saburou
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 4, 2004
          Well, my iron does have a 'squirt' feature, which is probably for this
          reason, here.

          Hmmmm....

          -Ii

        • Elaine Koogler
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 4, 2004
            Yup...it will work for that. The only difference is that once Mama had
            sprinkled a garment, she rolled it up until she finished sprinkling the
            rest of what needed ironing. This allowed for the water to soak through
            and dampen the entire garment. Again, I don't know that this would make
            a difference, but thought I'd let you know.

            Kiri

            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 5, 2004
              --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou
              Yukiie" <kabuto@c...> wrote:
              > Makiwara-hime,
              >
              > You may find balsa too soft to work well. A harder wood, like
              boxwood
              > may be more suitable.

              Not sure where to find it locally. Let's see how much of a mess I
              make with the balsa first. ;-> I do, however, know where I can get
              bamboo....

              Makiwara
            • makiwara_no_yetsuko
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 6, 2004
                <makiwara_no_yetsuko@y...> wrote:
                > Not sure where to find it locally. Let's see how much of a mess I
                > make with the balsa first. ;-> I do, however, know where I can get
                > bamboo....

                Update, Saturday noonish:

                1. I got nice clean cuts in the balsa with an Exacto knife. Lightly
                sanding will neaten up any rough edges from being scored. I'm about
                to find out whether they're going to split when I try drilling the
                pivot holes.

                2. I was able to determine size of the paper pieces by scribing an
                arc the size I want at the lower end, cutting the paper and folding
                it in even increments, then trimming the top end to size. I'm keeping
                this bit as a template and have traced out the dimensions on the
                sketch pad papers to be decorated.

                I'll keep you posted.

                Makiwara