Re: [SCA-JML] Rice starching experiment...

  • Ii Saburou
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 4, 2004
      Is this with a steam iron, or not? That makes a lot of sense without a
      steam iron. Today, I make sure that I'm careful to set the steam levels
      when ironing or else I get all sorts of water problems.

      -Ii

      On Thu, 4 Mar 2004, Elaine Koogler wrote:

      > Back in days of yore, when my mother used starch in the laundry, she
      > starched items, then, after they had dried on the line outdoors, she
      > would iron them. But before ironing, she would sprinkle the item
      > lightly with water. I'm not sure what this did other than making the
      > fabric a little easier to iron and get wrinkles out, but it seemed to work.
      >
      > Kiri
      >
      > Ii Saburou wrote:
      >
      > > Looking for a way to add body to my silk garments, I've gone through a
      > > rudimentary rice starching experiment. I took lots of rice, and washed
      > > it, and saved the run-off, with all of its starch. I then soaked my
      > > noushi in it.
      > >
      > > So far, it is reacting well. The starch is clear, and no flakes have
      > > appeared as I feared. It isn't stiff, but it isn't flowing, either. It
      > > has regained some of its lost stiffness. I do need to iron it because it
      > > is still wrinkled from the move, and I should have done that before the
      > > starch. Oh well. Next time I will do it properly--this time I will just
      > > see how the starch treatment works when you iron it afterwards.
      > >
      > > -Ii
      > >
      > > PS: Finally made myself a tate-eboshi that stands straight!

      > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      > --
      > Learning is a lifetime journey...growing older merely adds experience to knowledge
      > and wisdom to curiosity.
      > -- C.E. Lawrence

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Elaine Koogler
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 4, 2004
        I don't think my mother's iron was a steam iron. But I have found, over
        the years, that sometimes things that can't be properly ironed using
        steam sometimes work better using this method. Just a thought...

        Kiri

        Ii Saburou wrote:

        > Is this with a steam iron, or not? That makes a lot of sense without a
        > steam iron. Today, I make sure that I'm careful to set the steam levels
        > when ironing or else I get all sorts of water problems.
        >
        > -Ii
        >
        > On Thu, 4 Mar 2004, Elaine Koogler wrote:
        >
        > > Back in days of yore, when my mother used starch in the laundry, she
        > > starched items, then, after they had dried on the line outdoors, she
        > > would iron them. But before ironing, she would sprinkle the item
        > > lightly with water. I'm not sure what this did other than making the
        > > fabric a little easier to iron and get wrinkles out, but it seemed
        > to work.
        > >
        > > Kiri
        > >
        > > Ii Saburou wrote:
        > >
        > > > Looking for a way to add body to my silk garments, I've gone through a
        > > > rudimentary rice starching experiment. I took lots of rice, and
        > washed
        > > > it, and saved the run-off, with all of its starch. I then soaked my
        > > > noushi in it.
        > > >
        > > > So far, it is reacting well. The starch is clear, and no flakes have
        > > > appeared as I feared. It isn't stiff, but it isn't flowing,
        > either. It
        > > > has regained some of its lost stiffness. I do need to iron it
        > because it
        > > > is still wrinkled from the move, and I should have done that
        > before the
        > > > starch. Oh well. Next time I will do it properly--this time I
        > will just
        > > > see how the starch treatment works when you iron it afterwards.
        > > >
        > > > -Ii
        > > >
        > > > PS: Finally made myself a tate-eboshi that stands straight!

        > > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        > > --
        > > Learning is a lifetime journey...growing older merely adds
        > experience to knowledge
        > > and wisdom to curiosity.
        > > -- C.E. Lawrence

        > > Yahoo! Groups Links

        Learning is a lifetime journey...growing older merely adds experience to knowledge
        and wisdom to curiosity.
        -- C.E. Lawrence

      • makiwara_no_yetsuko
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 4, 2004
          --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Ii Saburou <logan@m...> wrote:
          > Looking for a way to add body to my silk garments, I've gone
          through a
          > rudimentary rice starching experiment.

          Thanks for posting this! I may have to try it. In the meantime, I am
          going to muck around with balsa and rice paper this weekend and see
          how difficult or easy it would be to construct a folding fan. I'll
          report my results next week.

          Makiwara
        • Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou Yukiie
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 4, 2004
            Makiwara-hime,

            You may find balsa too soft to work well. A harder wood, like boxwood
            may be more suitable. The grain is tighter and won't be as likely to
            split on you - I know because I tried it with little luck.
            When I moved to boxwood, it worked much better. Good luck!

            Date Saburou Yukiie
            Yama Kaminari Ryu

            --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "makiwara_no_yetsuko"
            <makiwara_no_yetsuko@y...> wrote:
            > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Ii Saburou <logan@m...> wrote:
            > > Looking for a way to add body to my silk garments, I've gone
            > through a
            > > rudimentary rice starching experiment.
            >
            > Thanks for posting this! I may have to try it. In the meantime, I am
            > going to muck around with balsa and rice paper this weekend and see
            > how difficult or easy it would be to construct a folding fan. I'll
            > report my results next week.
            >
            > Makiwara
          • Ii Saburou
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 4, 2004
              Well, my iron does have a 'squirt' feature, which is probably for this
              reason, here.

              Hmmmm....

            • Elaine Koogler
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 4, 2004
                Yup...it will work for that. The only difference is that once Mama had
                sprinkled a garment, she rolled it up until she finished sprinkling the
                rest of what needed ironing. This allowed for the water to soak through
                and dampen the entire garment. Again, I don't know that this would make
                a difference, but thought I'd let you know.

                Kiri

                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 5, 2004
                  --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou
                  Yukiie" <kabuto@c...> wrote:
                  > Makiwara-hime,
                  >
                  > You may find balsa too soft to work well. A harder wood, like
                  boxwood
                  > may be more suitable.

                  Not sure where to find it locally. Let's see how much of a mess I
                  make with the balsa first. ;-> I do, however, know where I can get
                  bamboo....

                  Makiwara
                • makiwara_no_yetsuko
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 6, 2004
                    <makiwara_no_yetsuko@y...> wrote:
                    > Not sure where to find it locally. Let's see how much of a mess I
                    > make with the balsa first. ;-> I do, however, know where I can get
                    > bamboo....

                    Update, Saturday noonish:

                    1. I got nice clean cuts in the balsa with an Exacto knife. Lightly
                    sanding will neaten up any rough edges from being scored. I'm about
                    to find out whether they're going to split when I try drilling the
                    pivot holes.

                    2. I was able to determine size of the paper pieces by scribing an
                    arc the size I want at the lower end, cutting the paper and folding
                    it in even increments, then trimming the top end to size. I'm keeping
                    this bit as a template and have traced out the dimensions on the
                    sketch pad papers to be decorated.

                    I'll keep you posted.

                    Makiwara