Re: kydex armoring question

  • kegage
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 4, 2004
      I don't have a lot of experience with kydex in general, but on the
      painting question I may be able to help. Krylon has recently come out
      with a spray paint called "Fusion" which is supposed to molecularly
      bond with the surface of the plastic effectively changing the actual
      color of the plastic (unless you choose to paint it the same color it
      is when manufactured).

      Hope this helps.

      Waffle

      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Matt L <mattlew@b...> wrote:

      > finaly does anyone have any experience with painting kydex? the
      website has
      > some info on it, but I checked with several local suppliers and was not
      > able to find the paints they reccomended... (I figure even if the paint
      > isn't available in the color I want, it should be able to serve as a
      primer
      > to which my prefered colors might adhear)... unfortunatly if I can
      not find
      > a suitable base paint which will adhear to the kydex, I may have a
      problem.
      > my suppliuer can not get it in the color I want, and the only
      options that
      > come close to any documented color is black and brick red...
      (neither of
      > which appeal to my lack of desire to be roasted in my armor in the
      > excessivly hot southern sun)
      >
      > any help/info is greatly apreciated
      >
      > Yoshimasa
    • Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou Yukiie
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 4, 2004
        Yoshimasu-dono,
        Konnichi wa, tomodachi.
        Finally - a chance to work with a man of few words!!! :-)
        It seems you have done a fair amount of research and are on
        your way - I will respond off list to you about the questions you
        have asked so we don't clog other's e-mails and bandwidth...

        Date Saburou Yukiie
        Yama Kaminari Ryu

        > Yoshimasa
      • Marko Peussa
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 5, 2004
          Sorry, don't really know about Kydex, but,

          Whatever you do, ask for some free samples of different thickness and
          try them out first. It's a good plan to practice with smaller pieces
          to find out how they handle in your specific application.

          Try out what is the temperature and time needed in your convection
          oven for the pieces to soften. See if they tend to stick on the
          support surface, in that case use some ordinary teflon coated baking
          paper. Find out which kind of gloves you need to handle the pieces,
          and how fast they cool down and get stiff again. Test if you need to
          hold the pieces in place when they are cooling. See if there is a
          need for wooden or steel plate forms for cooling.

          Try to find out the oven temperature and time which is needed to get
          the pieces just a little bit soft. At this temperature you can bend
          them and they will keep shape after cooling. I use this temp to curve
          the plates in one direction, or to fit the plate curvature to my body.

          Try to find out the second temperature and time to make the pieces
          floppy. At this temperature one can make cup-like shapes by suitable
          shaping aids. Or, it is possible to make patterns to the plastic
          surface. Having the pieces in this temperature will reset and remove
          any previous shapes. This is great if you need to make rework.

          I have been able to do something like kiritsuke zane to ABS plates,
          and I can just say that this way of working will greatly reduce the
          time needed to make a 'fake' lamellar for SCA combat.

          I have a Mongol 'fake' lamellar coming up. For a photo of the shaped
          back and shoulder plates, please have a look at:

          http://www.kolumbus.fi/marko.peussa/PCDV0009.JPG

          There are a couple of stainless steel forms in the photo, too. I
          shaped these to my body first, and then bent the plastics on the
          forms by hand.

          Regards,

          Klaus

          --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Matt L <mattlew@b...> wrote:
          > I have a question for Date-dono and others who have worked with
          kydex. I
          > have found a convient local source for purchacing sheet kydex, and
          have
          > intention of building my armor SOON. my plans arte to make a Go-Mai
          Mogami
          > Haramaki Do and matching Sode. I am presently requesting samples of
          lace
          > from the various companies people have listed here in recent posts,
          and
          > will be getting my materials together as soon as they arive, but I
          need to
          > know a couple things.
          >
          > First and perhapse mosty importantly: How thick should the Kydex
          (tm) be? I
          > will be using actual kydex, not ABS (which a number of people call
          kydex),
          > nor chemical barrel (which suffers the same misidentification of
          ABS) I

          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 9, 2004
            Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou Yukiie wrote:

            > It seems you have done a fair amount of research and are on
            > your way - I will respond off list to you about the questions you
            > have asked so we don't clog other's e-mails and bandwidth...

            Are you insane?

            Do this HERE. In the group. So that *everyone* can benefit from the exchange. <G>

            Effingham
          • Matt L
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 9, 2004
              rest assured effingham-donoI will build a composit of the information and
              post it to the group... (probably in the files section so I can include the
              PDF's from kleerdex with the tech data or atleast links directly to the
              nessicary info)

              yoshimasa

              Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou Yukiie wrote:

              > It seems you have done a fair amount of research and are on
              > your way - I will respond off list to you about the questions you
              > have asked so we don't clog other's e-mails and bandwidth...

              Are you insane?

              Do this HERE. In the group. So that *everyone* can benefit from the
              exchange. <G>

              Yahoo! Groups Links