Rice starching experiment...

  • Ii Saburou
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 3, 2004
      Looking for a way to add body to my silk garments, I've gone through a
      rudimentary rice starching experiment. I took lots of rice, and washed
      it, and saved the run-off, with all of its starch. I then soaked my
      noushi in it.

      So far, it is reacting well. The starch is clear, and no flakes have
      appeared as I feared. It isn't stiff, but it isn't flowing, either. It
      has regained some of its lost stiffness. I do need to iron it because it
      is still wrinkled from the move, and I should have done that before the
      starch. Oh well. Next time I will do it properly--this time I will just
      see how the starch treatment works when you iron it afterwards.

      -Ii

      PS: Finally made myself a tate-eboshi that stands straight!
    • Ii Saburou
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 4, 2004
        Is this with a steam iron, or not? That makes a lot of sense without a
        steam iron. Today, I make sure that I'm careful to set the steam levels
        when ironing or else I get all sorts of water problems.

        -Ii

        On Thu, 4 Mar 2004, Elaine Koogler wrote:

        > Back in days of yore, when my mother used starch in the laundry, she
        > starched items, then, after they had dried on the line outdoors, she
        > would iron them. But before ironing, she would sprinkle the item
        > lightly with water. I'm not sure what this did other than making the
        > fabric a little easier to iron and get wrinkles out, but it seemed to work.
        >
        > Kiri
        >
        > Ii Saburou wrote:
        >
        > > Looking for a way to add body to my silk garments, I've gone through a
        > > rudimentary rice starching experiment. I took lots of rice, and washed
        > > it, and saved the run-off, with all of its starch. I then soaked my
        > > noushi in it.
        > >
        > > So far, it is reacting well. The starch is clear, and no flakes have
        > > appeared as I feared. It isn't stiff, but it isn't flowing, either. It
        > > has regained some of its lost stiffness. I do need to iron it because it
        > > is still wrinkled from the move, and I should have done that before the
        > > starch. Oh well. Next time I will do it properly--this time I will just
        > > see how the starch treatment works when you iron it afterwards.
        > >
        > > -Ii
        > >
        > > PS: Finally made myself a tate-eboshi that stands straight!

        > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        > --
        > Learning is a lifetime journey...growing older merely adds experience to knowledge
        > and wisdom to curiosity.
        > -- C.E. Lawrence

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Elaine Koogler
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 4, 2004

          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 4, 2004
            I don't think my mother's iron was a steam iron. But I have found, over
            the years, that sometimes things that can't be properly ironed using
            steam sometimes work better using this method. Just a thought...

            Kiri

            Ii Saburou wrote:

            > Is this with a steam iron, or not? That makes a lot of sense without a
            > steam iron. Today, I make sure that I'm careful to set the steam levels
            > when ironing or else I get all sorts of water problems.
            >
            > -Ii
            >
            > On Thu, 4 Mar 2004, Elaine Koogler wrote:
            >
            > > Back in days of yore, when my mother used starch in the laundry, she
            > > starched items, then, after they had dried on the line outdoors, she
            > > would iron them. But before ironing, she would sprinkle the item
            > > lightly with water. I'm not sure what this did other than making the
            > > fabric a little easier to iron and get wrinkles out, but it seemed
            > to work.
            > >
            > > Kiri
            > >
            > > Ii Saburou wrote:
            > >
            > > > Looking for a way to add body to my silk garments, I've gone through a
            > > > rudimentary rice starching experiment. I took lots of rice, and
            > washed
            > > > it, and saved the run-off, with all of its starch. I then soaked my
            > > > noushi in it.
            > > >
            > > > So far, it is reacting well. The starch is clear, and no flakes have
            > > > appeared as I feared. It isn't stiff, but it isn't flowing,
            > either. It
            > > > has regained some of its lost stiffness. I do need to iron it
            > because it
            > > > is still wrinkled from the move, and I should have done that
            > before the
            > > > starch. Oh well. Next time I will do it properly--this time I
            > will just
            > > > see how the starch treatment works when you iron it afterwards.
            > > >
            > > > -Ii
            > > >
            > > > PS: Finally made myself a tate-eboshi that stands straight!

            > > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            > > --
            > > Learning is a lifetime journey...growing older merely adds
            > experience to knowledge
            > > and wisdom to curiosity.
            > > -- C.E. Lawrence

            > > Yahoo! Groups Links

            Learning is a lifetime journey...growing older merely adds experience to knowledge
            and wisdom to curiosity.
            -- C.E. Lawrence

          • makiwara_no_yetsuko
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 4, 2004
              --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Ii Saburou <logan@m...> wrote:
              > Looking for a way to add body to my silk garments, I've gone
              through a
              > rudimentary rice starching experiment.

              Thanks for posting this! I may have to try it. In the meantime, I am
              going to muck around with balsa and rice paper this weekend and see
              how difficult or easy it would be to construct a folding fan. I'll
              report my results next week.

              Makiwara
            • Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou Yukiie
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 4, 2004
                Makiwara-hime,

                You may find balsa too soft to work well. A harder wood, like boxwood
                may be more suitable. The grain is tighter and won't be as likely to
                split on you - I know because I tried it with little luck.
                When I moved to boxwood, it worked much better. Good luck!

                Date Saburou Yukiie
                Yama Kaminari Ryu

                --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "makiwara_no_yetsuko"
                <makiwara_no_yetsuko@y...> wrote:
                > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Ii Saburou <logan@m...> wrote:
                > > Looking for a way to add body to my silk garments, I've gone
                > through a
                > > rudimentary rice starching experiment.
                >
                > Thanks for posting this! I may have to try it. In the meantime, I am
                > going to muck around with balsa and rice paper this weekend and see
                > how difficult or easy it would be to construct a folding fan. I'll
                > report my results next week.
                >
                > Makiwara
              • Ii Saburou
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 4, 2004
                  Well, my iron does have a 'squirt' feature, which is probably for this
                  reason, here.

                  Hmmmm....

                • Elaine Koogler
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 4, 2004
                    Yup...it will work for that. The only difference is that once Mama had
                    sprinkled a garment, she rolled it up until she finished sprinkling the
                    rest of what needed ironing. This allowed for the water to soak through
                    and dampen the entire garment. Again, I don't know that this would make
                    a difference, but thought I'd let you know.

                    Kiri

                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 5, 2004
                      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou
                      Yukiie" <kabuto@c...> wrote:
                      > Makiwara-hime,
                      >
                      > You may find balsa too soft to work well. A harder wood, like
                      boxwood
                      > may be more suitable.

                      Not sure where to find it locally. Let's see how much of a mess I
                      make with the balsa first. ;-> I do, however, know where I can get
                      bamboo....

                      Makiwara
                    • makiwara_no_yetsuko
                      Message 10 of 10 , Mar 6, 2004
                        <makiwara_no_yetsuko@y...> wrote:
                        > Not sure where to find it locally. Let's see how much of a mess I
                        > make with the balsa first. ;-> I do, however, know where I can get
                        > bamboo....

                        Update, Saturday noonish:

                        1. I got nice clean cuts in the balsa with an Exacto knife. Lightly
                        sanding will neaten up any rough edges from being scored. I'm about
                        to find out whether they're going to split when I try drilling the
                        pivot holes.

                        2. I was able to determine size of the paper pieces by scribing an
                        arc the size I want at the lower end, cutting the paper and folding
                        it in even increments, then trimming the top end to size. I'm keeping
                        this bit as a template and have traced out the dimensions on the
                        sketch pad papers to be decorated.

                        I'll keep you posted.

                        Makiwara