Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Possible Armor Lacing Braid Source

    Message 1 of 30 , Feb 27, 2004
      Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou Yukiie wrote:

      > Personally, long ago, I made decisions thaT i still stick by...

      And I applaud you for it. Folks, you really *have* to see the ô-yoroi that he
      fights in. It's most stunning, inspiring, and should be making more people feel
      sheepish about their own stuff than it does. <G>

      > I say:Use as much lacing as is proper. Take the effort. If you are
      > building a sugake odoshi harnes, i say take the time to make it
      > properly...

      Hear, hear!

      Message 2 of 30 , Feb 27, 2004
        Elaine Koogler wrote:
        > I know I'm jumping in here...probably not a good thing as I am not a
        > fighter, don't make armor, etc. But...if you REALLY want to do spiff,
        > learn how to do kumihino and braid your own cord! ;-)

        Oh, yeah. Well, there is that. <G>

        one of my teachers in Tokyo spent about three years reverse-engineering a
        kumihimo pattern to make lacing for a 12th C. armour he was making -- the braid
        was too broad for machine-made lacing to deal with from his usual supplier, and
        he also wanted to use exactly the same braid-pattern as the original. We're
        pretty certain he's the first one to have used that pattern (he redescovered it
        after many, many yards of error) for several hundred years. Oy.

        Effingham
      • LadyPyrate
        Message 3 of 30 , Feb 27, 2004
          Yes, I must say that was my thought on seeing this thread as well, but not
          knowing how much lacing is required, I can see where that may not be
          practical. Kumihimo is rather addictive.. I had my father in law build a
          Maru-Dai for me after a week or so playing with the cardboard one we got at
          Nottinghill colligieum.

          Meadhbh
          (Who was doing handstands ayt the Met trying to look *under* the armor to
          see the lacings.) <g>

          Wow! That's impressive. You don't happen to have the pattern, do you?
          I've just started learning...and it's lots of fun.

          Kiri

          Anthony J. Bryant wrote:

          > Elaine Koogler wrote:
          > > I know I'm jumping in here...probably not a good thing as I am not a
          > > fighter, don't make armor, etc. But...if you REALLY want to do spiff,
          > > learn how to do kumihino and braid your own cord! ;-)
          >
          > Oh, yeah. Well, there is that. <G>
          >
          > one of my teachers in Tokyo spent about three years reverse-engineering
          > kumihimo pattern to make lacing for a 12th C. armour he was making --
          > the braid
          > was too broad for machine-made lacing to deal with from his usual
          > supplier, and
          > he also wanted to use exactly the same braid-pattern as the original.
          > We're
          > pretty certain he's the first one to have used that pattern (he
          > redescovered it
          > after many, many yards of error) for several hundred years. Oy.
          >

          > Effingham

          Learning is a lifetime journey...growing older merely adds experience to
          knowledge
          and wisdom to curiosity.
          -- C.E. Lawrence

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • Elaine Koogler
          Message 4 of 30 , Feb 27, 2004

            Message 5 of 30 , Feb 27, 2004

              Anthony J. Bryant wrote:

              > Elaine Koogler wrote:
              > > I know I'm jumping in here...probably not a good thing as I am not a
              > > fighter, don't make armor, etc. But...if you REALLY want to do spiff,
              > > learn how to do kumihino and braid your own cord! ;-)
              >
              > Oh, yeah. Well, there is that. <G>
              >
              > one of my teachers in Tokyo spent about three years reverse-engineering a
              > kumihimo pattern to make lacing for a 12th C. armour he was making --
              > the braid
              > was too broad for machine-made lacing to deal with from his usual
              > supplier, and
              > he also wanted to use exactly the same braid-pattern as the original.
              > We're
              > pretty certain he's the first one to have used that pattern (he
              > redescovered it
              > after many, many yards of error) for several hundred years. Oy.
              >

              > Effingham

              Learning is a lifetime journey...growing older merely adds experience to knowledge
              and wisdom to curiosity.
              -- C.E. Lawrence

            • Alcyoneus
              Message 6 of 30 , Feb 27, 2004
                Did you get any "up-Tonlet" videos? ;-)

                Alcyoneus

                >Meadhbh
                >(Who was doing handstands ayt the Met trying to look *under* the armor to
                >see the lacings.) <g>

              • Alcyoneus
                Message 7 of 30 , Feb 27, 2004
                  How many threads in the pattern?

                  Alcyoneus

                  Message 8 of 30 , Feb 27, 2004
                    Elaine Koogler wrote:
                    > Wow! That's impressive. You don't happen to have the pattern, do you?
                    > I've just started learning...and it's lots of fun.

                    I *did* say "You've got to show me that pattern" -- and he looked at me with
                    what I can only describe as an "are you out of your mind? I took three years to
                    do this. Learn kumihimo first, then start learning how to create patterns, and
                    then we'll talk." He's very into self-sufficiency and learning by error and
                    error. (Note I didn't say "trial and error." <G>)

                    Message 9 of 30 , Feb 27, 2004
                      Alcyoneus wrote:

                      > How many threads in the pattern?

                      An ungodly number. The braid is an inch wide, and about 1/8" thick. It's outrageous.

                      Effingham
                    • Matt L
                      Message 10 of 30 , Mar 3, 2004
                        <LOL> I am going to have to remember that one<G>

                        yoshimasa's evil twin