Re: Konnichiwa from a beginner

  • Kass McGann
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 28, 2000
      --- In sca-jml@egroups.com, markejag@a... wrote:
      > Keep in mind we are
      > all human, have limited funds and that part of the SCA is to have
      fun. Lady
      > Samantha, you may not have the resources available, the 'correct'
      > and fabric to made reasonable authentic period Japanese garb. And
      as much as
      > my constituents will berate me for suggesting so, go ahead and make
      > first attempt at a 'reasonable' facsimile of some kind of Japanese
      > Keep in mind that someday you will have all of those things you
      need to make
      > an authentic costume.

      Dear Fumio-dono (and Samantha, and anyone else who's listening),

      You give excellent advice. No one should think they have to "go all
      the way" on their first attempt at garb. But in my experience, there
      are a few reasons you should try to make a correct, albeit simple,
      version your first time out.

      I have often told my students that your first set of garb will
      require the most time and the most money you will ever spend on a
      garment. This is true because of perspective. You make your first
      garment and all the mistakes that come with it. This textile
      learning curve will benefit you with everything you ever make,
      Japanese or not. But it dose take up a whole lot more time than it
      ever will again.

      So why waste all that time and effort on something that you won't
      wear once you learn how wrong it is?! This list is here for people
      to ask questions and avoid the errors that, ahem, the Baron and I
      made before we knew any better. Why reinvent the wheel when we
      already have the blueprints and instructions that we'll lend you?
      Learn from our mistakes!

      And let's be reasonable: some people never stop wearing their "just-
      get-em-on-the-field garb". Why not make something that is both
      correct and will last and not humiliate you in years to come?

      Also, it is often easier to make things in a period fashion than in a
      modern one. And this is very true of Japanese clothing. Period
      garments made rather frugal use of fabric because the technology
      involved was expensive and time-consuming. You can make a period
      garment out of less fabric than a modern one. This is fact. So why
      not do it?

      While I would not suggest that you weave nishiki brocade for all of
      your robes, simple weaves of silk can be had for the same price as
      cotton broadcloth (~$6 a yard) and will last long after the
      broadcloth has disintegrated. Linen and hemp, while more expensive,
      will also last and last and last. So if we're talking about a robe
      that costs you a total of $30 in materials, would you prefer one that
      lasts one Pennsic or one that lasts for as long as you're in the
      SCA? I routinely drag my robes through the mud at outdoor events, I
      get stepped on at feasts, they get ripped and resewn all the time,
      and I mercilously throw mine in the washer and dryer when I come
      home. And I can honestly say that I have NEVER had to throw one away
      because it was getting ratty.

      So if you have the information (from us and the sources we suggest),
      the fabric is cheap and available (considering the wear factor), and
      the construction is simple, why NOT do it right the first time?

      Fujiwara no Aoi
      Authenticity Nazi for All the Right Reasons...