Re: [SCA-JML] Re: beginner clothing

    Message 1 of 64 , Jun 27, 2000
      Kass McGann wrote:

      > Please take heed: Rumiko Takahashi writes (draws) fiction. Just
      > like you shouldn't trust a novel, no matter how historical, to
      > portray history accurately all the time, you shouldn't trust manga
      > that happen to have historically-inspired characters. Ms. Takahashi
      > does not intend to be portraying history and isn't holding herself to
      > the same rules as historians do.

      Bless you!

      I took some time and looked at some of the manga scans, and I have to agree
      with Fujiwara-dono.

      Let me cite a single example that screams at me. I can't give you the page,
      but the title is something like "so-and-so fires an arrow."

      I do kyudo, so I'm fairly familiar with arching in Japan. This girl is
      holding what is apparently a Japanese bow. The shape seems right, and the
      wrapped grip is consistent with Japanese bows. She is, however, holding the
      bow incorrectly. She is also clearly employing a European two-fingered
      "claw" release, rather than the Japanese thumb release. She is also
      releasing it incorrectly in that her hand is still near her chest. In
      Japan, the release is accompanied by the hand flying behind one (think of a
      fencer in a proper "lunge" position). This is all pretty basic to archery
      in Japan. And Takahashi gets it *all* wrong.

      These may be enjoyable, but they are fantasy.

      As a very dear friend of mine once told me (slightly paraphrasing here),
      "just because the SCA was named by a fantasy writer doesn't mean we should
      use fantasy sources as reference."

      > I am put in mind of an anime version of "The Tale
      > of Genji". Genji is portrayed with a ruby earring in his ear.

      Would you believe that this single thing is why I can't stand that video?
      Even though it won all sorts of awards, that blatant and deliberate
      anachronism puts me off.

      > My advice to you, Samantha (and anyone else who is seeking English
      > sources) is to check out these sources and any art books showing
      > period illustrations and scrolls:

      Fujiwara-dono posts an excellent list of sources. If you can read Japanese,
      let me know and I'll be glad to list some more sources.

      > By the way, Inuyasha's mother is wearing a vague representation of
      > Heian garb in the scans I saw, but everyone else is wearing Muromachi
      > era MEN's clothing. And personally, I can't think of a single
      > historical example in Japan of any woman wearing "bangs"...

      Except for that onna-no-ko in the sailor suit. What's up with that?

      Actually there are a few sources for looking at these outfits that are
      quite accurate.

      Most video stores will have "Ran" and "Kagemusha." Both of these, set in
      the latter part of the 16th century, clearly show various manners of
      costume typical of that period. I recommend both highly.

      I also am curious, though, if you meant to type "late 16th" century. What
      actually is your period of interest, and what draws you there?

      Effingham
    • Kass McGann
      Message 64 of 64 , Jun 29, 2000
        >         I tend to speak Nihongo, then the English translation, for short
        > phrases, which cause one of the folk in my kingdom to exclaim, :Cool!
        > You come with your own subtitles."

        Now that's cool.

        I've often fantasized about appearing in court with an interpreter in my suite to
        speak English to the King and Japanese to me...

        <G>

        Effingham

        I have this dream, if I ever win Crown, to have an "interpretor" so I neither have to raise my voice nor come out from behind my screen of state... ;)