Re: beginner clothing

  • Kass McGann
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 27, 2000
      --- In sca-jml@egroups.com, vskylinev@a... wrote:
      > I am in Nova Scotia, but unfortunately can't make it to pennsic due
      > monetary and time reasons :( Perhaps next year, if all works in my
      favour!

      > Would anyone perhaps have suggestions of easy to make woman's garb
      for the
      > late 15th century?

      Dear Samantha,

      The period of which you speak is called the Muromachi period and
      lasted from 1334 until 1573. It's the time period when women stopped
      wearing hakama (pants) all the time and the kosode ("kimono")
      increased to ankle length. My web page on the history of Japanese
      dress gives a paragraph of overview of the styles of this period:
      http://www.reconstructinghistory.com/japanese/history.html
      Unfortunately, it doesn't give any construction techniques or show
      pictures of Muromachi clothes. But if you email me privately, I will
      send you scans which will help you get an idea of what the clothing
      of that period looked like.

      <tirade> And now my usual cautionary note: do not wear modern kimono
      because you think they look "close enough". They are as different
      from period dress as 15th century English dress is from jeans and T-
      shirts. The lines of period Japanese garb are very simple. Even if
      you are a beginner seamstress, it should not present too much
      difficulty. The complexity of Japanese garb is in the materials, not
      the construction. </tirade>

      May I enquire why you chose the 15th century for your persona? Is
      there a person or incident which you wish to base your persona story
      around?

      Also, would you please give my love to your Baroness Lianna up there
      in Ruantallan and the Ladies Elise, Isa, Niniae and Lord Gruffyd. I
      camp with them every year at Pennsic. They are LOVELY people. You
      are lucky to be in their Barony.

      I hope this has helped you.

      Fujiwara no Aoi