Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Help with translation

    Message 1 of 25 , Feb 2 12:43 PM
      Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou Yukiie wrote:

      > Fujiwara-dono
      > I no sooner went to look for a few other references, and three images
      > of armor boxes jumped up, and lo and behold, guess what kanji was on
      > them...
      > I can make only two suppositions (other than the fact I am possibly
      > going senile...)
      > A) - that the instructions were to the baggage train, instructing the
      > members to place it in a readilly available location as they moved to
      > the "front"... or
      > b) - that the instructions were for the Brown Navy ground tactical
      > contingent (of which I can say I was a member) from a former
      > discussion thread!!!

      You know, I've often wondered what prompted the use of "mae" on these. Hm. I
      think I'll have to ask daisensei about it...

      Effingham
    • mattfmcti
      Message 2 of 25 , Feb 2 12:48 PM
        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Anthony J. Bryant" <ajbryant@i...>
        wrote:
        > mattfmcti wrote:
        >
        > > I have read the Sengoku Daimyo Armor
        > > Construction Site so many times, I think I have it memorized.
        > > Hours of fun for all...Here's to you, Hiraizumi-dono!
        >

        > Katajikenai!! <G>
        >

        > Effingham

        No, it is we who are indebted to you *S* Without you, there would
        hordes of badly armored samurai running around :)

        Fujiwara Takaharu
        Message 3 of 25 , Feb 2 3:10 PM
          mattfmcti wrote:

          > Domo-arigato, Hiraizumi-dono. Being an amature linguist, I'm not
          > familiar with continuative forms of verbs. Is that something unique
          > to Japanese, or is called something else in IE languages?

          Not really specific; it's more like saying "In English you need the imperative
          rather than the infinitive" (e.g., "wash" instead of "to wash").

          Message 4 of 25 , Feb 2 3:30 PM
            Anthony J. Bryant wrote:

            > mattfmcti wrote:
            >

            >>Domo-arigato, Hiraizumi-dono. Being an amature linguist, I'm not
            >>familiar with continuative forms of verbs. Is that something unique
            >>to Japanese, or is called something else in IE languages?
            >

            > Not really specific; it's more like saying "In English you need the imperative
            > rather than the infinitive" (e.g., "wash" instead of "to wash").

            It occurs to me that this isn't very clear. Hm.

            Okay.

            In Japanese, there's a particle (-te or -de) that's attached to the stem of
            verbs. It has a few functions, but one of them is to mark a continuity rather
            than a finality of action.

            If I say "tegami wo kaku. Terebi wo miru." (I write a letter. I watch TV.)
            there's no clear connection, causality, or continuity of action. (Plus it sounds
            like first year Japanese <G>.) Instead, you say "tegami wo kaite, terebi wo
            miru" and you get "I write a letter and then watch TV." The tense of the final
            verb provides the tense for the whole series (e.g., if I'd said "terebi wo mita"
            it would be "I WROTE a letter and then watched TV.)

            Effingham
          • mattfmcti
            Message 5 of 25 , Feb 2 9:14 PM
              <ajbryant@i...> wrote:
              > mattfmcti wrote:
              >
              > > Domo-arigato, Hiraizumi-dono. Being an amature linguist,
              I'm not
              > > familiar with continuative forms of verbs. Is that something
              unique
              > > to Japanese, or is called something else in IE languages?
              >
              > Not really specific; it's more like saying "In English you need
              the imperative
              > rather than the infinitive" (e.g., "wash" instead of "to wash").
              >

              > Effingham

              That makes sense. Now that I think about it, I should have
              noticed the -u endings I used. *shakes head* My academic skills
              are getting rusty. I need to go back to school (!)

              Takaharu
            • mattfmcti
              Message 6 of 25 , Feb 2 9:26 PM
                <ajbryant@i...> wrote:
                > Anthony J. Bryant wrote:
                >
                > > mattfmcti wrote:
                > >

                > >>Domo-arigato, Hiraizumi-dono. Being an amature linguist,
                I'm not
                > >>familiar with continuative forms of verbs. Is that something
                unique
                > >>to Japanese, or is called something else in IE languages?
                > >

                > > Not really specific; it's more like saying "In English you need
                the imperative
                > > rather than the infinitive" (e.g., "wash" instead of "to wash").
                >
                > It occurs to me that this isn't very clear. Hm.
                >
                > Okay.
                >
                > In Japanese, there's a particle (-te or -de) that's attached to the
                stem of
                > verbs. It has a few functions, but one of them is to mark a
                continuity rather
                > than a finality of action.
                >
                > If I say "tegami wo kaku. Terebi wo miru." (I write a letter. I
                watch TV.)
                > there's no clear connection, causality, or continuity of action.
                (Plus it sounds
                > like first year Japanese <G>.) Instead, you say "tegami wo
                kaite, terebi wo
                > miru" and you get "I write a letter and then watch TV." The tense
                of the final
                > verb provides the tense for the whole series (e.g., if I'd said
                "terebi wo mita"
                > it would be "I WROTE a letter and then watched TV.)
                >

                > Effingham

                OK...WOW. I get it. Convoluted, but I get it. I would be very
                interested in leaning how such a construction came about. VERY
                different from PIE, where verbs are there own little worlds. Also, a
                question about pronouns and word order. I know about the
                S-O-V format, as Latin is the same. What about predicate
                adjectives and states-of-being? The only phrase I know in
                Japanese is "Atashi wa kawai", where I know kawai = cute,
                having seen it elsewhere. Also, it was a female friend who taught
                me this phrase, so I'm afraid I've been going around saying "I
                (fem.) am cute." A little knowledge is indeed a dangerous thing
                *S*

                Takaharu,
                who needs to take Japanese just to satisfy his (her? *LOL*)
                overly-active curiosity.
              • Jean-Richard deHolloway
                Message 7 of 25 , Feb 21 12:49 PM
                  Greetings to the List! A friend of mine contacted me
                  recently seeking assistance on a blade he recently
                  acquired, but since my knowledge of Japanese is very
                  limited, I come to you seeking your help with his
                  inquiry. Can anyone here translate the writing in
                  these two photos? Any help that can be provided will
                  be greatly appreciated. Thank you one and all!

                  J-R

                  =====
                  "Here I stand. Here I remain."

                • Ii Saburou
                  Message 8 of 25 , Feb 22 4:25 PM
                    You may want to try Sword Forum International.

                    -Ii

                    On Sat, 21 Feb 2004, Jean-Richard deHolloway wrote:

                    > Greetings to the List! A friend of mine contacted me
                    > recently seeking assistance on a blade he recently
                    > acquired, but since my knowledge of Japanese is very
                    > limited, I come to you seeking your help with his
                    > inquiry. Can anyone here translate the writing in
                    > these two photos? Any help that can be provided will
                    > be greatly appreciated. Thank you one and all!
                    >
                    > J-R
                    >
                    > =====
                    > "Here I stand. Here I remain."

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Bob R
                    Message 9 of 25 , Feb 22 6:28 PM
                      Dear Sir or Madam,

                      If no one on this list can help you with the
                      translation please contact me as I might be able to
                      put you in touch with some folks that study "Nihonto"
                      (Japanese Swords). I myself am too early in my kantai
                      skills to be of much help I'm afraid.

                      Bob R

                      =====
                      Check out "Cowboy" Bob's Books & Things at:
                      http://asia.geocities.com/gentleman9/index.htm

                      http://antispam.yahoo.com/tools
                    • Solveig
                      Message 10 of 25 , Mar 13, 2004
                        TEST TEST ??

                      • Elaine Koogler
                        Message 11 of 25 , Mar 14, 2004
                          Yup...you're coming through loud and clear.

                          Kiri

                          Solveig wrote:

                          > TEST TEST ??
                          > --
                          >
                          > Your Humble Servant
                          > Solveig Throndardottir
                          > Amateur Scholar

                          > | Barbara Nostrand, Ph.D. | Solveig Throndardottir, CoM, CoS |
                          > | mailto:nostrand@... | mailto:bnostran@... |

                          Learning is a lifetime journey...growing older merely adds experience to knowledge
                          and wisdom to curiosity.
                          -- C.E. Lawrence

                        • Davis,Debra L
                          Message 12 of 25 , Oct 12, 2005