Re: [SCA-JML] Help with translation

    Message 1 of 25 , Feb 2, 2004
      mattfmcti wrote:

      > Katai na Itoko! (Honorable Cousins)
      >
      > I'm trying to come with a nice, cheeky motto, given the whole "have
      > fun with it" attitude around here. Since my wife is a stylist, I'm
      > kind of partial to "Wash, Rinse, Repeat". It has that nice 'WTF'
      > flavor. It reminds me of the kanji for "front" on an armor box. I
      > have come up with the following:
      >
      > Arau, Yusugu, Aratamete

      You want continuative forms, not dictionary forms:

      "Aratte, sosoide, aratamete."

      Message 2 of 25 , Feb 2, 2004
        mattfmcti wrote:

        > I have read the Sengoku Daimyo Armor
        > Construction Site so many times, I think I have it memorized.
        > Hours of fun for all...Here's to you, Hiraizumi-dono!

        Katajikenai!! <G>

        Effingham
      • mattfmcti
        Message 3 of 25 , Feb 2, 2004
          > > Katai na Itoko! (Honorable Cousins)
          > >
          > > I'm trying to come with a nice, cheeky motto, given the
          whole "have
          > > fun with it" attitude around here. Since my wife is a stylist,
          I'm
          > > kind of partial to "Wash, Rinse, Repeat". It has that nice 'WTF'
          > > flavor. It reminds me of the kanji for "front" on an armor box. I
          > > have come up with the following:
          > >
          > > Arau, Yusugu, Aratamete
          >
          > You want continuative forms, not dictionary forms:
          >
          > "Aratte, sosoide, aratamete."
          >
          > Effingham

          Domo-arigato, Hiraizumi-dono. Being an amature linguist, I'm not
          familiar with continuative forms of verbs. Is that something unique
          to Japanese, or is called something else in IE languages?

          Fujiwara Takaharu
          Message 4 of 25 , Feb 2, 2004
            Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou Yukiie wrote:

            > Fujiwara-dono
            > I no sooner went to look for a few other references, and three images
            > of armor boxes jumped up, and lo and behold, guess what kanji was on
            > them...
            > I can make only two suppositions (other than the fact I am possibly
            > going senile...)
            > A) - that the instructions were to the baggage train, instructing the
            > members to place it in a readilly available location as they moved to
            > the "front"... or
            > b) - that the instructions were for the Brown Navy ground tactical
            > contingent (of which I can say I was a member) from a former
            > discussion thread!!!

            You know, I've often wondered what prompted the use of "mae" on these. Hm. I
            think I'll have to ask daisensei about it...

            Effingham
          • mattfmcti
            Message 5 of 25 , Feb 2, 2004
              --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Anthony J. Bryant" <ajbryant@i...>
              wrote:
              > mattfmcti wrote:
              >
              > > I have read the Sengoku Daimyo Armor
              > > Construction Site so many times, I think I have it memorized.
              > > Hours of fun for all...Here's to you, Hiraizumi-dono!
              >

              > Katajikenai!! <G>
              >

              > Effingham

              No, it is we who are indebted to you *S* Without you, there would
              hordes of badly armored samurai running around :)

              Fujiwara Takaharu
              Message 6 of 25 , Feb 2, 2004
                mattfmcti wrote:

                > Domo-arigato, Hiraizumi-dono. Being an amature linguist, I'm not
                > familiar with continuative forms of verbs. Is that something unique
                > to Japanese, or is called something else in IE languages?

                Not really specific; it's more like saying "In English you need the imperative
                rather than the infinitive" (e.g., "wash" instead of "to wash").

                Message 7 of 25 , Feb 2, 2004
                  Anthony J. Bryant wrote:

                  > mattfmcti wrote:
                  >

                  >>Domo-arigato, Hiraizumi-dono. Being an amature linguist, I'm not
                  >>familiar with continuative forms of verbs. Is that something unique
                  >>to Japanese, or is called something else in IE languages?
                  >

                  > Not really specific; it's more like saying "In English you need the imperative
                  > rather than the infinitive" (e.g., "wash" instead of "to wash").

                  It occurs to me that this isn't very clear. Hm.

                  Okay.

                  In Japanese, there's a particle (-te or -de) that's attached to the stem of
                  verbs. It has a few functions, but one of them is to mark a continuity rather
                  than a finality of action.

                  If I say "tegami wo kaku. Terebi wo miru." (I write a letter. I watch TV.)
                  there's no clear connection, causality, or continuity of action. (Plus it sounds
                  like first year Japanese <G>.) Instead, you say "tegami wo kaite, terebi wo
                  miru" and you get "I write a letter and then watch TV." The tense of the final
                  verb provides the tense for the whole series (e.g., if I'd said "terebi wo mita"
                  it would be "I WROTE a letter and then watched TV.)

                  Effingham
                • mattfmcti
                  Message 8 of 25 , Feb 2, 2004
                    <ajbryant@i...> wrote:
                    > mattfmcti wrote:
                    >
                    > > Domo-arigato, Hiraizumi-dono. Being an amature linguist,
                    I'm not
                    > > familiar with continuative forms of verbs. Is that something
                    unique
                    > > to Japanese, or is called something else in IE languages?
                    >
                    > Not really specific; it's more like saying "In English you need
                    the imperative
                    > rather than the infinitive" (e.g., "wash" instead of "to wash").
                    >

                    > Effingham

                    That makes sense. Now that I think about it, I should have
                    noticed the -u endings I used. *shakes head* My academic skills
                    are getting rusty. I need to go back to school (!)

                    Takaharu
                  • mattfmcti
                    Message 9 of 25 , Feb 2, 2004
                      <ajbryant@i...> wrote:
                      > Anthony J. Bryant wrote:
                      >
                      > > mattfmcti wrote:
                      > >

                      > >>Domo-arigato, Hiraizumi-dono. Being an amature linguist,
                      I'm not
                      > >>familiar with continuative forms of verbs. Is that something
                      unique
                      > >>to Japanese, or is called something else in IE languages?
                      > >

                      > > Not really specific; it's more like saying "In English you need
                      the imperative
                      > > rather than the infinitive" (e.g., "wash" instead of "to wash").
                      >
                      > It occurs to me that this isn't very clear. Hm.
                      >
                      > Okay.
                      >
                      > In Japanese, there's a particle (-te or -de) that's attached to the
                      stem of
                      > verbs. It has a few functions, but one of them is to mark a
                      continuity rather
                      > than a finality of action.
                      >
                      > If I say "tegami wo kaku. Terebi wo miru." (I write a letter. I
                      watch TV.)
                      > there's no clear connection, causality, or continuity of action.
                      (Plus it sounds
                      > like first year Japanese <G>.) Instead, you say "tegami wo
                      kaite, terebi wo
                      > miru" and you get "I write a letter and then watch TV." The tense
                      of the final
                      > verb provides the tense for the whole series (e.g., if I'd said
                      "terebi wo mita"
                      > it would be "I WROTE a letter and then watched TV.)
                      >

                      > Effingham

                      OK...WOW. I get it. Convoluted, but I get it. I would be very
                      interested in leaning how such a construction came about. VERY
                      different from PIE, where verbs are there own little worlds. Also, a
                      question about pronouns and word order. I know about the
                      S-O-V format, as Latin is the same. What about predicate
                      adjectives and states-of-being? The only phrase I know in
                      Japanese is "Atashi wa kawai", where I know kawai = cute,
                      having seen it elsewhere. Also, it was a female friend who taught
                      me this phrase, so I'm afraid I've been going around saying "I
                      (fem.) am cute." A little knowledge is indeed a dangerous thing
                      *S*

                      Takaharu,
                      who needs to take Japanese just to satisfy his (her? *LOL*)
                      overly-active curiosity.
                    • Jean-Richard deHolloway
                      Message 10 of 25 , Feb 21, 2004
                        Greetings to the List! A friend of mine contacted me
                        recently seeking assistance on a blade he recently
                        acquired, but since my knowledge of Japanese is very
                        limited, I come to you seeking your help with his
                        inquiry. Can anyone here translate the writing in
                        these two photos? Any help that can be provided will
                        be greatly appreciated. Thank you one and all!

                        J-R

                        =====
                        "Here I stand. Here I remain."

                      • Ii Saburou
                        Message 11 of 25 , Feb 22, 2004
                          You may want to try Sword Forum International.

                          -Ii

                          On Sat, 21 Feb 2004, Jean-Richard deHolloway wrote:

                          > Greetings to the List! A friend of mine contacted me
                          > recently seeking assistance on a blade he recently
                          > acquired, but since my knowledge of Japanese is very
                          > limited, I come to you seeking your help with his
                          > inquiry. Can anyone here translate the writing in
                          > these two photos? Any help that can be provided will
                          > be greatly appreciated. Thank you one and all!
                          >
                          > J-R
                          >
                          > =====
                          > "Here I stand. Here I remain."

                          > Yahoo! Groups Links

                        • Bob R
                          Message 12 of 25 , Feb 22, 2004
                            Dear Sir or Madam,

                            If no one on this list can help you with the
                            translation please contact me as I might be able to
                            put you in touch with some folks that study "Nihonto"
                            (Japanese Swords). I myself am too early in my kantai
                            skills to be of much help I'm afraid.

                            Bob R

                            =====
                            Check out "Cowboy" Bob's Books & Things at:
                            http://asia.geocities.com/gentleman9/index.htm

                            http://antispam.yahoo.com/tools
                          • Solveig
                            Message 13 of 25 , Mar 13, 2004
                              TEST TEST ??

                            • Elaine Koogler
                              Message 14 of 25 , Mar 14, 2004
                                Yup...you're coming through loud and clear.

                                Kiri

                                Solveig wrote:

                                > TEST TEST ??
                                > --
                                >
                                > Your Humble Servant
                                > Solveig Throndardottir
                                > Amateur Scholar

                                > | Barbara Nostrand, Ph.D. | Solveig Throndardottir, CoM, CoS |
                                > | mailto:nostrand@... | mailto:bnostran@... |

                                Learning is a lifetime journey...growing older merely adds experience to knowledge
                                and wisdom to curiosity.
                                -- C.E. Lawrence

                              • Davis,Debra L
                                Message 15 of 25 , Oct 12, 2005