Help with translation

  • mattfmcti
    Message 1 of 25 , Jan 27, 2004
      Katai na Itoko! (Honorable Cousins)

      I'm trying to come with a nice, cheeky motto, given the whole "have
      fun with it" attitude around here. Since my wife is a stylist, I'm
      kind of partial to "Wash, Rinse, Repeat". It has that nice 'WTF'
      flavor. It reminds me of the kanji for "front" on an armor box. I
      have come up with the following:

      Arau, Yusugu, Aratamete

      Yes? No? Are you freakin' nuts? Let me know :)

      Feeling uppity,
      Fujiwara Takaharu
    • Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou Yukiie
      Message 2 of 25 , Jan 27, 2004
        Konnichiwa, tomodachi,
        A former Debatable Lands samurai I knew went by the name Nissan
        Maxima, and had a sashimono that read something to the effect of(in
        kanji and kana) "...your 5 ton forklift will be ready on thursday..."
        I do not believe there is any more "toungue in cheek" attitude than
        that! He is a good fighter and a good man, and seems to be having fun
        with it, so I see no reason for you not to follow such a tradition of
        having fun.
        I have seen the kanji for "gu" short for gusoku on the front of armor
        boxes, but for some reason do not recall seeing the kanji for Mae, or
        front - you should post a pic!
        I wish you luck, and have fun...

        Date Saburou Yukiie
        Yama Kaminari Ryu
        Shi wa hei to de aru...are all equal in the grave...
        http://www.kabutographics.com (under reconstruction)
        kabuto@...

      • ekoogler1@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 25 , Jan 27, 2004
          Well, I guess it's no better or worse than our European household motto: "An ounce of pretension is worth a pound of manure." ;-)

          Kiri
        • michael A
          Message 4 of 25 , Jan 27, 2004
            Nissan certainly is character. I love his reasoning
            behind why he picked his name.
            --kiyohara

            <kabuto@...> wrote:
            > Konnichiwa, tomodachi,
            > A former Debatable Lands samurai I knew went by the
            > name Nissan
            > Maxima, and had a sashimono that read something to
            > the effect of(in
            > kanji and kana) "...your 5 ton forklift will be
            > ready on thursday..."
            > I do not believe there is any more "toungue in
            > cheek" attitude than
            > that! He is a good fighter and a good man, and seems
            > to be having fun
            > with it, so I see no reason for you not to follow
            > such a tradition of
            > having fun.
            > I have seen the kanji for "gu" short for gusoku on
            > the front of armor
            > boxes, but for some reason do not recall seeing the
            > kanji for Mae, or
            > front - you should post a pic!
            > I wish you luck, and have fun...
            >
            > Date Saburou Yukiie
            > Yama Kaminari Ryu
            > Shi wa hei to de aru...are all equal in the grave...
            > http://www.kabutographics.com (under reconstruction)
            > kabuto@...
            >

            > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "mattfmcti"
            > <mattfmcti@y...> wrote:
            > > Katai na Itoko! (Honorable Cousins)
            > >
            > > I'm trying to come with a nice, cheeky motto,
            > given the whole "have
            > > fun with it" attitude around here. Since my wife
            > is a stylist, I'm
            > > kind of partial to "Wash, Rinse, Repeat". It has
            > that nice 'WTF'
            > > flavor. It reminds me of the kanji for "front" on
            > an armor box. I
            > > have come up with the following:
            > >
            > > Arau, Yusugu, Aratamete
            > >
            > > Yes? No? Are you freakin' nuts? Let me know :)
            > >
            > > Feeling uppity,
            > > Fujiwara Takaharu
            >

            > UNSUBSCRIBE: E-mail
            > sca-jml-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
            >
            > Yahoo! Groups Links

            > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            http://webhosting.yahoo.com/ps/sb/
          • Solveig
            Message 5 of 25 , Jan 27, 2004
              Noble Cousins!

              Greetings from Solveig! Noh stages and lots of other architectural features
              in Japan are made from whit cedar. Boxes are often made from fir.

              buildings hinoki Chamaecyparis obtusa
              boxes momi Abies firma

            • mattfmcti
              Message 6 of 25 , Jan 27, 2004
                > I have seen the kanji for "gu" short for gusoku on the front of
                armor
                > boxes, but for some reason do not recall seeing the kanji for
                Mae, or
                > front - you should post a pic!

                > Date Saburou Yukiie

                Alas, I have no pic. Hiraizumi-sensei mentioned it under armor
                boxes. Strange...I have read the Sengoku Daimyo Armor
                Construction Site so many times, I think I have it memorized.
                Hours of fun for all...Here's to you, Hiraizumi-dono!

                Fujiwara Takaharu
              • Solveig
                Message 7 of 25 , Jan 27, 2004

                  Has anyone seen "Twilight Samurai" ??

                • Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou Yukiie
                  Message 8 of 25 , Jan 28, 2004
                    Fujiwara-dono
                    I no sooner went to look for a few other references, and three images
                    of armor boxes jumped up, and lo and behold, guess what kanji was on
                    them...
                    I can make only two suppositions (other than the fact I am possibly
                    going senile...)
                    A) - that the instructions were to the baggage train, instructing the
                    members to place it in a readilly available location as they moved to
                    the "front"... or
                    b) - that the instructions were for the Brown Navy ground tactical
                    contingent (of which I can say I was a member) from a former
                    discussion thread!!!
                    You know the acronym...K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple, Samurai!
                    :-)

                    Humble Date

                    --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "mattfmcti" <mattfmcti@y...> wrote:

                    > > I have seen the kanji for "gu" short for gusoku on the front of
                    > armor
                    > > boxes, but for some reason do not recall seeing the kanji for
                    > Mae, or
                    > > front - you should post a pic!
                    >
                    > > Date Saburou Yukiie
                    >
                    > Alas, I have no pic. Hiraizumi-sensei mentioned it under armor
                    > boxes. Strange...I have read the Sengoku Daimyo Armor
                    > Construction Site so many times, I think I have it memorized.
                    > Hours of fun for all...Here's to you, Hiraizumi-dono!
                    >
                    > Fujiwara Takaharu
                  • Gary Williams
                    Message 9 of 25 , Jan 28, 2004
                      Never heard of twilight Samurai what is it? a movie?

                      Solveig <nostrand@...> wrote:Noble Cousins!

                      Greetings from Solveig!

                      Has anyone seen "Twilight Samurai" ??

                    • Yamashiro Kato'
                      Message 10 of 25 , Jan 28, 2004
                        It's a movie nominated for Best Foreign Film at this year's Academy Awards.

                        IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0351817/
                        Oscar.com: http://www.oscar.com/nominees/nom_33015.html

                        -Kato

                        Message 11 of 25 , Feb 2, 2004
                          mattfmcti wrote:

                          > Katai na Itoko! (Honorable Cousins)
                          >
                          > I'm trying to come with a nice, cheeky motto, given the whole "have
                          > fun with it" attitude around here. Since my wife is a stylist, I'm
                          > kind of partial to "Wash, Rinse, Repeat". It has that nice 'WTF'
                          > flavor. It reminds me of the kanji for "front" on an armor box. I
                          > have come up with the following:
                          >
                          > Arau, Yusugu, Aratamete

                          You want continuative forms, not dictionary forms:

                          "Aratte, sosoide, aratamete."

                          Message 12 of 25 , Feb 2, 2004
                            mattfmcti wrote:

                            > I have read the Sengoku Daimyo Armor
                            > Construction Site so many times, I think I have it memorized.
                            > Hours of fun for all...Here's to you, Hiraizumi-dono!

                            Katajikenai!! <G>

                            Effingham
                          • mattfmcti
                            Message 13 of 25 , Feb 2, 2004
                              > > Katai na Itoko! (Honorable Cousins)
                              > >
                              > > I'm trying to come with a nice, cheeky motto, given the
                              whole "have
                              > > fun with it" attitude around here. Since my wife is a stylist,
                              I'm
                              > > kind of partial to "Wash, Rinse, Repeat". It has that nice 'WTF'
                              > > flavor. It reminds me of the kanji for "front" on an armor box. I
                              > > have come up with the following:
                              > >
                              > > Arau, Yusugu, Aratamete
                              >
                              > You want continuative forms, not dictionary forms:
                              >
                              > "Aratte, sosoide, aratamete."
                              >
                              > Effingham

                              Domo-arigato, Hiraizumi-dono. Being an amature linguist, I'm not
                              familiar with continuative forms of verbs. Is that something unique
                              to Japanese, or is called something else in IE languages?

                              Fujiwara Takaharu
                              Message 14 of 25 , Feb 2, 2004
                                Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou Yukiie wrote:

                                > Fujiwara-dono
                                > I no sooner went to look for a few other references, and three images
                                > of armor boxes jumped up, and lo and behold, guess what kanji was on
                                > them...
                                > I can make only two suppositions (other than the fact I am possibly
                                > going senile...)
                                > A) - that the instructions were to the baggage train, instructing the
                                > members to place it in a readilly available location as they moved to
                                > the "front"... or
                                > b) - that the instructions were for the Brown Navy ground tactical
                                > contingent (of which I can say I was a member) from a former
                                > discussion thread!!!

                                You know, I've often wondered what prompted the use of "mae" on these. Hm. I
                                think I'll have to ask daisensei about it...

                                Effingham
                              • mattfmcti
                                Message 15 of 25 , Feb 2, 2004
                                  --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Anthony J. Bryant" <ajbryant@i...>
                                  wrote:
                                  > mattfmcti wrote:
                                  >
                                  > > I have read the Sengoku Daimyo Armor
                                  > > Construction Site so many times, I think I have it memorized.
                                  > > Hours of fun for all...Here's to you, Hiraizumi-dono!
                                  >

                                  > Katajikenai!! <G>
                                  >

                                  > Effingham

                                  No, it is we who are indebted to you *S* Without you, there would
                                  hordes of badly armored samurai running around :)

                                  Fujiwara Takaharu
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Feb 2, 2004
                                    mattfmcti wrote:

                                    > Domo-arigato, Hiraizumi-dono. Being an amature linguist, I'm not
                                    > familiar with continuative forms of verbs. Is that something unique
                                    > to Japanese, or is called something else in IE languages?

                                    Not really specific; it's more like saying "In English you need the imperative
                                    rather than the infinitive" (e.g., "wash" instead of "to wash").

                                    Message 17 of 25 , Feb 2, 2004
                                      Anthony J. Bryant wrote:

                                      > mattfmcti wrote:
                                      >

                                      >>Domo-arigato, Hiraizumi-dono. Being an amature linguist, I'm not
                                      >>familiar with continuative forms of verbs. Is that something unique
                                      >>to Japanese, or is called something else in IE languages?
                                      >

                                      > Not really specific; it's more like saying "In English you need the imperative
                                      > rather than the infinitive" (e.g., "wash" instead of "to wash").

                                      It occurs to me that this isn't very clear. Hm.

                                      Okay.

                                      In Japanese, there's a particle (-te or -de) that's attached to the stem of
                                      verbs. It has a few functions, but one of them is to mark a continuity rather
                                      than a finality of action.

                                      If I say "tegami wo kaku. Terebi wo miru." (I write a letter. I watch TV.)
                                      there's no clear connection, causality, or continuity of action. (Plus it sounds
                                      like first year Japanese <G>.) Instead, you say "tegami wo kaite, terebi wo
                                      miru" and you get "I write a letter and then watch TV." The tense of the final
                                      verb provides the tense for the whole series (e.g., if I'd said "terebi wo mita"
                                      it would be "I WROTE a letter and then watched TV.)

                                      Effingham
                                    • mattfmcti
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Feb 2, 2004
                                        <ajbryant@i...> wrote:
                                        > mattfmcti wrote:
                                        >
                                        > > Domo-arigato, Hiraizumi-dono. Being an amature linguist,
                                        I'm not
                                        > > familiar with continuative forms of verbs. Is that something
                                        unique
                                        > > to Japanese, or is called something else in IE languages?
                                        >
                                        > Not really specific; it's more like saying "In English you need
                                        the imperative
                                        > rather than the infinitive" (e.g., "wash" instead of "to wash").
                                        >

                                        > Effingham

                                        That makes sense. Now that I think about it, I should have
                                        noticed the -u endings I used. *shakes head* My academic skills
                                        are getting rusty. I need to go back to school (!)

                                        Takaharu
                                      • mattfmcti
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Feb 2, 2004
                                          <ajbryant@i...> wrote:
                                          > Anthony J. Bryant wrote:
                                          >
                                          > > mattfmcti wrote:
                                          > >

                                          > >>Domo-arigato, Hiraizumi-dono. Being an amature linguist,
                                          I'm not
                                          > >>familiar with continuative forms of verbs. Is that something
                                          unique
                                          > >>to Japanese, or is called something else in IE languages?
                                          > >

                                          > > Not really specific; it's more like saying "In English you need
                                          the imperative
                                          > > rather than the infinitive" (e.g., "wash" instead of "to wash").
                                          >
                                          > It occurs to me that this isn't very clear. Hm.
                                          >
                                          > Okay.
                                          >
                                          > In Japanese, there's a particle (-te or -de) that's attached to the
                                          stem of
                                          > verbs. It has a few functions, but one of them is to mark a
                                          continuity rather
                                          > than a finality of action.
                                          >
                                          > If I say "tegami wo kaku. Terebi wo miru." (I write a letter. I
                                          watch TV.)
                                          > there's no clear connection, causality, or continuity of action.
                                          (Plus it sounds
                                          > like first year Japanese <G>.) Instead, you say "tegami wo
                                          kaite, terebi wo
                                          > miru" and you get "I write a letter and then watch TV." The tense
                                          of the final
                                          > verb provides the tense for the whole series (e.g., if I'd said
                                          "terebi wo mita"
                                          > it would be "I WROTE a letter and then watched TV.)
                                          >

                                          > Effingham

                                          OK...WOW. I get it. Convoluted, but I get it. I would be very
                                          interested in leaning how such a construction came about. VERY
                                          different from PIE, where verbs are there own little worlds. Also, a
                                          question about pronouns and word order. I know about the
                                          S-O-V format, as Latin is the same. What about predicate
                                          adjectives and states-of-being? The only phrase I know in
                                          Japanese is "Atashi wa kawai", where I know kawai = cute,
                                          having seen it elsewhere. Also, it was a female friend who taught
                                          me this phrase, so I'm afraid I've been going around saying "I
                                          (fem.) am cute." A little knowledge is indeed a dangerous thing
                                          *S*

                                          Takaharu,
                                          who needs to take Japanese just to satisfy his (her? *LOL*)
                                          overly-active curiosity.
                                        • Jean-Richard deHolloway
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Feb 21, 2004
                                            Greetings to the List! A friend of mine contacted me
                                            recently seeking assistance on a blade he recently
                                            acquired, but since my knowledge of Japanese is very
                                            limited, I come to you seeking your help with his
                                            inquiry. Can anyone here translate the writing in
                                            these two photos? Any help that can be provided will
                                            be greatly appreciated. Thank you one and all!

                                            J-R

                                            =====
                                            "Here I stand. Here I remain."

                                          • Ii Saburou
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Feb 22, 2004
                                              You may want to try Sword Forum International.

                                              -Ii

                                              On Sat, 21 Feb 2004, Jean-Richard deHolloway wrote:

                                              > Greetings to the List! A friend of mine contacted me
                                              > recently seeking assistance on a blade he recently
                                              > acquired, but since my knowledge of Japanese is very
                                              > limited, I come to you seeking your help with his
                                              > inquiry. Can anyone here translate the writing in
                                              > these two photos? Any help that can be provided will
                                              > be greatly appreciated. Thank you one and all!
                                              >
                                              > J-R
                                              >
                                              > =====
                                              > "Here I stand. Here I remain."

                                              > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                            • Bob R
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Feb 22, 2004
                                                Dear Sir or Madam,

                                                If no one on this list can help you with the
                                                translation please contact me as I might be able to
                                                put you in touch with some folks that study "Nihonto"
                                                (Japanese Swords). I myself am too early in my kantai
                                                skills to be of much help I'm afraid.

                                                Bob R

                                                =====
                                                Check out "Cowboy" Bob's Books & Things at:
                                                http://asia.geocities.com/gentleman9/index.htm

                                                http://antispam.yahoo.com/tools
                                              • Solveig
                                                Message 23 of 25 , Mar 13, 2004
                                                  TEST TEST ??

                                                • Elaine Koogler
                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Mar 14, 2004
                                                    Yup...you're coming through loud and clear.

                                                    Kiri

                                                    Solveig wrote:

                                                    > TEST TEST ??
                                                    > --
                                                    >
                                                    > Your Humble Servant
                                                    > Solveig Throndardottir
                                                    > Amateur Scholar

                                                    > | Barbara Nostrand, Ph.D. | Solveig Throndardottir, CoM, CoS |
                                                    > | mailto:nostrand@... | mailto:bnostran@... |

                                                    Learning is a lifetime journey...growing older merely adds experience to knowledge
                                                    and wisdom to curiosity.
                                                    -- C.E. Lawrence

                                                  • Davis,Debra L
                                                    Message 25 of 25 , Oct 12, 2005