Hi

  • Glynn Hennigar
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 22, 2004
      Hi my name is Glynn. I'm new to the sca-jml,I was glad to find out
      that there are a lot of other people out there with interest in
      Japan and their arts.
      I have been interested in japanese swords for years and started
      making some prety rough looking ones.Then I took a course through
      the sei do kai iaido scool in Guelph on making swords on a forge,I
      make some nice ones now.Then I saw a suit of Japanese armour on ebay
      and thought that I would try to make one from the pictures.I posted
      some pics of it in the photos section on this site,take a look and
      please don't laugh to hard.
      I don't speak or read Japanese other than the name of some sword
      parts and armour parts.But I am trying to learn.
      I live in Orillia,Ontario,Canada and would like to know if there is
      anyone in or around my area.
      I hope to learn more about this society and get more involved.
      So hello to everyone and I hope to talk to you soon
      Glynn
    • Ii Saburou
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 23, 2004
        On Fri, 23 Jan 2004, Glynn Hennigar wrote:

        > Hi my name is Glynn. I'm new to the sca-jml,I was glad to find out
        > that there are a lot of other people out there with interest in
        > Japan and their arts.

        Welcome!

        > I have been interested in japanese swords for years and started
        > making some prety rough looking ones.Then I took a course through
        > the sei do kai iaido scool in Guelph on making swords on a forge,I
        > make some nice ones now.Then I saw a suit of Japanese armour on ebay
        > and thought that I would try to make one from the pictures.I posted
        > some pics of it in the photos section on this site,take a look and
        > please don't laugh to hard.

        Which set of photos is it? It is hard to see what looks 'new', so I doubt
        anyone will laugh. Nobody is an expert right out of the gate, so there's
        hardly anything to laugh about. I shake my head at my own attempt when I
        realize everything I did wrong (shudder!).

        > I don't speak or read Japanese other than the name of some sword
        > parts and armour parts.But I am trying to learn.

        Learning is good, but you do not need to speak Japanese to do it in the
        SCA. Just do what research you can and feel free to ask questions or
        search the archives here for a lot of ideas.

        > I hope to learn more about this society and get more involved.
        > So hello to everyone and I hope to talk to you soon

        Please, please! More people are always great!

        -Ii
      • Bob R
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 23, 2004
          Glynn,

          If you are interested in Swords I can direct you to a
          few people I know in Canada who study swords.

          Bob R

          --- Glynn Hennigar <glynnhennigar@...> wrote:
          > Hi my name is Glynn. I'm new to the sca-jml,I was
          > glad to find out
          > that there are a lot of other people out there with
          > interest in
          > Japan and their arts.
          > I have been interested in japanese swords for years
          > and started
          > making some prety rough looking ones.Then I took a
          > course through
          > the sei do kai iaido scool in Guelph on making
          > swords on a forge,I
          > make some nice ones now.Then I saw a suit of
          > Japanese armour on ebay
          > and thought that I would try to make one from the
          > pictures.I posted
          > some pics of it in the photos section on this
          > site,take a look and
          > please don't laugh to hard.
          > I don't speak or read Japanese other than the name
          > of some sword
          > parts and armour parts.But I am trying to learn.
          > I live in Orillia,Ontario,Canada and would like to
          > know if there is
          > anyone in or around my area.
          > I hope to learn more about this society and get more
          > involved.
          > So hello to everyone and I hope to talk to you soon
          > Glynn

          =====
          Check out "Cowboy" Bob's Books & Things at:
          http://asia.geocities.com/gentleman9/index.htm

          http://webhosting.yahoo.com/ps/sb/
        • Donald Luby
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 23, 2004
            On Jan 22, 2004, at 7:04 PM, Glynn Hennigar wrote:

            > Hi my name is Glynn. I'm new to the sca-jml,I was glad to find out
            > that there are a lot of other people out there with interest in
            > Japan and their arts.
            > I have been interested in japanese swords for years and started
            > making some prety rough looking ones.Then I took a course through
            > the sei do kai iaido scool in Guelph on making swords on a forge,I
            > make some nice ones now.Then I saw a suit of Japanese armour on ebay
            > and thought that I would try to make one from the pictures.I posted
            > some pics of it in the photos section on this site,take a look and
            > please don't laugh to hard.

            Wow! I think especially for a first effort, it looks great!

            The marshal in me is curious what it's made of, and would like to point
            out that the menpo, and probably the kabuto, as well as the kote, are
            not legal for SCA combat (the head/face and hands are too exposed, and
            unless the kabuto is at least 16 ga steel, is not strong enough), but
            the look is real good. I wish mine looked that good. :)

            > I don't speak or read Japanese other than the name of some sword
            > parts and armour parts.But I am trying to learn.
            > I live in Orillia,Ontario,Canada and would like to know if there is
            > anyone in or around my area.

            While I don't know how far it is for you to Toronto or Buffalo, but
            Kintarou (who posted on the "Kabuto" thread a week ago) is in the
            general Toronto area, and the 'hub' of Clan Yama Kaminari is Buffalo
            (where Sir Ogami lives); I suspect many would be at Ice Dragon (a major
            SCA in Buffalo on March 20), if you can make it there - I won't,
            because I'll be at Gulf Wars near New Orleans instead.

            Sorry I'm not much more helpful than that.

            > I hope to learn more about this society and get more involved.
            > So hello to everyone and I hope to talk to you soon
            > Glynn

            Sir Koredono

            **********

            Donald J. Luby Magariki Katsuichi no
            Koredono, KSCA
            djl@... Yama
            Kaminari Ryu
            Pittsburgh, PA Debatable Lands,
            AEthelmearc
          • Glynn Hennigar
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 24, 2004
              If you don't think they would mind hearing from me,I am always hungry for noledge.By all means hook us up.
              Thank you
              Glynn

              =====
              Check out "Cowboy" Bob's Books & Things at:
              http://asia.geocities.com/gentleman9/index.htm

              Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

            • jbarneylmt
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 15 8:08 PM
                Hello all.

                Just wanted to say hello. I am a returning SCAdian (been away for
                years) in the Syracuse NY region. I am in the process of building
                myself a new fighting kit and getting myself active again.

                Hope this message finds you all well. I look forward to getting to
                know you folks.

                Uesugi Kutarou Ietoyo
              • sekinakagawa@aol.com
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 15 9:35 PM
                  Welcome back, Noble cousin!

                  Humbly,
                  -Sukeie

                  To ask a question may be a moments' shame,
                  But not to ask and remain ignorant, is a life long shame.
                  **************Need a job? Find an employment agency near you.
                  (http://yellowpages.aol.com/search?query=employment_agencies&ncid=emlcntusyelp00000003)