Re: [SCA-JML] Kumihimo cords and possible alternatives...?

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 22, 2000
      Joshua Badgley wrote:

      > On Wed, 21 Jun 2000, Anthony J. Bryant wrote:
      >
      > > No, definitely not.
      > >
      > > Kumihimo. Looks similar to shoelaces, only on steroids.
      >
      > Hmmm, thought that was the general description I would have given the bogu
      > cords as well. Then again, they are the wrong material, that's for sure
      > (cotton, I think, but I would have to look again).

      It is similar, but these are FAR stiffer and more butch than armour lacing cords.
      If the armour lacing (shoelaces on steroids) is George Foreman, the bogu cords
      (shoelaces with steroids on steroids) would be Andre the Giant.

      > Gack! Okay, now my wallet is protesting this project against my will. Is
      > there a good compromise you would propose until I become rich and
      > famous? (or at least rich)

      Cotton is doable; but it doesn't stand up to combat very well.

      > If I go with another cord (parachute cord?) how thick am I looking at and
      > how big, in general, should the holes be to weave it through?

      The problem with parachute cord is that, gutted and flattened, it's 1/4" wide.
      You really want a minimum of 3/8" (it really *does* make a diff!) and maybe even
      1/2". The holes should be the smallest they can be that will still allow the
      braid through, so it's a matter of "what is your lacing material and how
      wide/thick/stiff is it?". With 1/4" parachute cord, 1/8" holes work.

      > > Well, I can order it through Izutsu-san (the owner of that co.) but *he*
      > > said it would be really expensive. My own teacher decided to do his own
      > > kumihimo, since no one could supply exactly what he wanted the way he wanted
      > > it.
      >
      > How much does that cost? Is it any cheaper?

      What, ordering through Izutsu-san? I don't know, I didn't ask for a price quote.
      But he whistled and shook his head when I told him "I'd need at least 120 meters
      for one suit." (Or are you asking about braiding your own?)

      > Also, is it something I can
      > do while sitting around watching tv type of thing (a project I can bring
      > to my Barony's solars and our Ivory Thimble Tea), or is it more complex
      > than that?

      Well, it is, but it takes a little time to learn and a pile of supplies (mostly
      lots of weighted bobbins and a peculiar loom that looks like nothing so much as a
      foot-tall barstool with a hole in the center of the seat). Kumihimo -- especially
      enough to make a suit of armour -- will take time. Lots. More than making a
      hauberk of mail would.