[SCA-JML] Re: Interesting period Japanese name

    Message 1 of 37 , Nov 9, 1999
      Joshua Badgley wrote:

      > Does anybody else know of a Japanese individual, who encouraged Francis
      > Xavier to come to Japan, named Paul Yajiro (I can't remember the last name
      > right now, and I don't have the book handy)? Apparently he was a fugitive
      > from Japan and converted to Christianity, and I am guessing that is why he
      > is named Paul (Definitely not a Japanese name).
      >
      > Does anybody else know more about this individual? Has anyone considered
      > using a Christian name like that for a Japanese persona? (I would not
      > want to see it abused, but it would be interesting to see it at least
      > once).

      I translated a brief biography of him a few years ago for a Japanese class.
      There's actually some debate on his name; Anjiro, Yajiro, Ajiro... He was the
      first Japanese Christian. If you want, I can send you an e-text of the bio.
      It's about 10 pages long, IIRC.

      Tony
    • akimoya
      Message 37 of 37 , Nov 10, 1999
        On Wed, 10 Nov 1999, Anthony J. Bryant wrote:

        > > OK, so "Do itashimashite" is actually "Do(h)o itashimshite", and should be
        > > spelled "Dou itashimashite"?
        >
        > Not quite. TODAY it is "dou". A century ago, it was spelled "dofu" but
        > pronounced "dou." MANY MANY MANY centuries ago, it WAS pronounced "dofu," or
        > so they think.

        You're right, my bad - "do(h)o" would be "doo", and "do(f)u" would be
        "dou".

        See, I learned something already!

        Akimoya
        (whou sezs you can't teech an Aulde Phart noo trix?)