Re: [SCA-JML] Japanese fabrics

  • ekoogler1@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 8, 2004
      I found Thai Silks to be an excellent source: http://www.thaisilks.com They have regular silk in a fairly wide variety, and they also have a good selection of silk/rayon brocades. The patterns generally tend to be more Chinese in their feel, but that should be fine, especially for the earlier periods as much of their silk was imported from China. They are also very good to work with. They don't generally send samples of their fabrics, but you can purchase a yard of several different ones to see what they look like before purchasing enough to make a garment...the good news being that you have the beginnings of some lovely pillows or bags...or whatever. I do recommend that you do this because it's really hard to tell what the silk actually looks like from the pictures on the web. I found out the hard way that this is what you should do...I ordered what I thought was what I wanted, only to find out, when I received it, that I had only seen part of the design! They were very good about taking it back, however, and quickly sent me what I needed.

      Kiri
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 12, 2004
        mattfmcti wrote:

        > Katai na Itoko! (Honorable Cousins)
        >
        > Does anyone know of a source of 100% silk jacquards and brocades,
        > particularly the lozenge pattern found in so much court garb? Also,
        > on Aoi-hime's site, there is a picture of a late Kamakura gentleman
        > wearing a hitatare and matching hakama in dark blue with a brocaded
        > butterfly pattern. Has anyone ever seen anything similar anywhere?
        > Thaisilks.com has some great brocades, but they're all silk/rayon
        > blends. Arigato gozaimasu!

        Not outside a handful of disgustingly expensive sources in Japan. That is, about
        350 bucks for the *fabric* for a hitoe -- that is, just enough to make that one,
        single-width sleeve, butt-length garment. And most places I know won't sell the
        *fabric* -- they sell the garment. Add a couple hundred smackers.

        Effingham
      • stephen_nobles
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 14, 2004
          would suggest ebay there are a lot of sellers on there of which have
          very nice quality fabrics at reasonable prices.

          I have seen these so far these sellers on ebay

          far-east-fabrics
          orientalbrocade
          www.silk4you.com

          These are just a few. www.silk4you.com is one of the best ones I
          believe. My girlfriend purchased a navy silk brocade for me that it
          top quality fabric.