[SCA-JML] Re: Kimono Creation

  • akimoya
    Message 1 of 37 , Nov 9, 1999
      On Mon, 8 Nov 1999, Barbara Nostrand wrote:

      > The language and the poetic form. Regradless, there are books full
      > of these things.
      >
      > Tarou pretty much means #1 son just like in Charlie Chan movies.
      >
      > Toro is a root.

      OK, so what is "taro"? And who, or what, what "Tarokaja"?

      And here's another stupid question:

      What form of romanji translation system are most people using? The "ou"
      ending to denote a long "o" is one form, and using two "oo"s is another,
      and isn't there a third which uses an accent over the "o"?

      I never could get used to the "ou" style, myself.

      Akimoya
      Ealdormere
    • akimoya
      Message 37 of 37 , Nov 10, 1999
        On Wed, 10 Nov 1999, Anthony J. Bryant wrote:

        > > OK, so "Do itashimashite" is actually "Do(h)o itashimshite", and should be
        > > spelled "Dou itashimashite"?
        >
        > Not quite. TODAY it is "dou". A century ago, it was spelled "dofu" but
        > pronounced "dou." MANY MANY MANY centuries ago, it WAS pronounced "dofu," or
        > so they think.

        You're right, my bad - "do(h)o" would be "doo", and "do(f)u" would be
        "dou".

        See, I learned something already!

        Akimoya
        (whou sezs you can't teech an Aulde Phart noo trix?)