Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Koniichi wa - Straw Hats

  • kim nakamori
    Message 1 of 53 , Jan 5, 2004
      Domo Solveig-dono,
      You are probably right about the prince,and the
      taiga dramas were quite superb, but they show them
      primarily during the week-with maybe a repeat of the
      week's episode on sat.
      Hehe, yea, after I said "jumon", I realized it
      was a type of pottery. But I think the short series
      was about a prince during the nara period-all i
      remember was he wore his hair in two bunched ponytails
      to either side of his head, and they wore those
      necklaces of carved, teardrop-like claw shapes.(like
      on the tomoe symbol)
      Unfortunately I would not be very tolerated in
      japan today, as I don't speak much japanese, and from
      what I've heard from others, some nihon nihonjin are
      very rude about it. <shrug> I almost grew up in japan
      tho. When I was 6 the Matsudaira clan which we are
      related to, wanted to add "new blood" to the clan by
      searching for relatives outside japan. My sister and I
      were selected, along with 2 other cousins, to be
      married to boys of the clan, and if it met with
      approval, we were to be sent to a foster home in japan
      to study the ways of the nobility, as befitted our
      rank. But the matriarch decided that it would've been
      too much hassle and money to do so, so our "miais"
      were annulled, so to speak. I never knew of any of
      this til I was 20, and became "of age". My grandmother
      told me about it. I still had to learn
      flower-arranging, martial arts, and other things
      tho-hahah i always thought it was just natural,but
      when she told me about the arranged marriages, I
      highly suspect that my grandmother and aunt were
      offended, and wanted to make sure we had some form of
      formal training of sorts.
      (bah-ahm just a "otemba-hime" anyways!-LOL)
      Ah soo desu, I forgot about the russians
      influence.
      You are also right about the "correctness of japanese
      society". My Great-grandfather was over 6' tall, and
      had a hard time in japanese houses.(my dad said he'd
      always hit his head on the lamps, and start
      cursing!That's why he liked living in hawaii-the
      ceilings were taller)My dad is left-handed, and was
      forbade the use of it-he had to learn to write
      right-handed growing up. I have heard all sorts of
      stories about what nihonjin do to keep their children
      looking "normal" too. It's no wonder alot of youngins
      from their teens-their mid twenties dye their hair
      reddish-cinnamon. (it's a fashion fad they say-ya
      right...) I am glad that i grew up in hawaii,even tho
      i was surrounded by my culture, I was also allowed to
      grow up as myself. (btw, did you know that the kids
      in japan were not told about Pearl Harbor in history
      class til the late 80's?-my cousin from japan was
      rather shocked when he came to visit on a school tour
      and they visited the Arizona memorial)

      Ja nei,

      Tama-chan

    • Solveig
      Message 53 of 53 , Jan 16, 2004
        Noble Cousin!

        Greetings from Solveig! Canada speak is "first nations".