Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Koniichi wa - Straw Hats

  • Solveig
    Message 1 of 53 , Jan 5, 2004

      Greetings from Solveig! The pre-Heian prince you are
      most likely thinking of is the very famous cultural
      icon Shoutoku Taishi. His picture is, or at least was,
      on the 5,000 and 10,000 yen notes.

      Are you refering to the year long Taiga dramas which
      typically air on Sundays in Japan?

      The seriously Chinese periods are the Yamato, Nara, and
      early Heian periods. However, the fall of the T'ang
      dynasty in China probably triggered the decline in
      Japanese interest in the continent. Many Japanese court
      practices are derived from T'ang dynasty practices.
      The Joumon period is defined by a specific kind of pottery
      and was generally pre-agrarian and pre-metallurgical.
      Further, the genotype of joumon man was probably quite
      different from the modern Japanese genotype.

      > You know,ethnically there is no race as the
      >japanese, like the americans,the race is a mish-mash
      >of diff asian ethnics-chinese,korean,Filipino,and some
      >Dutch and portuguese.

      That is correct. Except that you forgot about the Russians.
      Linguistically, the language appears to be the result of
      creolization of a Ural-Altaic language with a Polynesian
      language with later Chinese, Iberian, and English influences.
      There are also some place names and possibly a few other
      lexigraphic entries from Utari.

      > Hehe it always makes me chuckle
      >when folks say, well you japanese all look alike.
      >That's like saying all americans look alike.

      Shhhhhh! Don't say that too loudly in Japan or some people may think
      ill of you. Nihonron likes to assert the uniqueness of the Japanese
      and that Japan is: monogenetic, monolingual, and monocultural. Bish
      Wash! I know Japanese with tightly curly hair and Japanese with
      non-black hair. (Both entirely natural.) As I recall a Soseki novel
      has the protagonist traveling by train from one part of Japan to another
      comment upon the diversity of Japanese phenotypes. So, this real-life
      genetic diversity is not at all recent.

      Incentally, a lot of Japanese who are planning on wearing Japanese
      clothing to some function or other get straight permanents at the
      hair dressers so that their hair will conform better to the ideal
      of straightness. Quite a few mothers dye their children's hair black
      so that they will not be set upon by classmates and even teachers.

      Then there are always variations in eye shape and eye colour. And,
      the goverment got all upset about Japanese children growing too
      big a while back. The government started puttting out nonsense
      about how this was making their bones too fragile and succeptible
      to fractures. Of course Japanese boys in the 6'4" range were having
      difficulty with traditional Japanese house measurements. By the mid
      1980's, 6' tall Japanese young men had come to think of themselves as
      not being particularly tall.

    • Solveig
      Message 53 of 53 , Jan 16, 2004

        Greetings from Solveig! Canada speak is "first nations".