Re: [SCA-JML] Re: SCA Katana

  • Tim McShane
    Message 1 of 53 , Jan 4, 2004
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: otagiri_tatsuzo
      To: sca-jml@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: January 3, 2004 4:33 PM
      Subject: [SCA-JML] Re: SCA Katana

      >snip<
      Curve the rattan before you shave it.
      >snip<
      I, too, have previously used just the natural curve in rattan to make my katana, but did straighten out a 7' stave for my yari. This was easy enough to do, as I shaved the haft of the yari before straightening--because rattan's fibres run the length of the stave, if you brace it between two solid posts (I used the crash cage around the power transformer in the parking lot of my apartment building), gentle force will be enough to "slide" the fibres against each other. I didn't do much to soak or steam it, but I did take a tip from Armour Archive and lay the stave in dewy grass on the morning of a sunny day, and covered it with black plastic garbage bags--seemed to soften it up enough to work it.

      A note on my experience, though--if you're making a rattan polearm, DON'T shave the skin entirely off the haft! While my yari is amazingly light and fast, it's a bit too whippy to deliver a good slash. I almost exclusively thrust with it; for a thrusting weapon, I'd sooner go with a longer fibreglass haft.

      Which brings me to the reason why I snipped the eariler post as I did--by soaking the rattan, are you able to get a decent curve in the stave even while it's skin is still on? I'm wanting to make a naginata next, but the stave I have doesn't have quite the curve to it I'd like. And, as my whippy yari shows, I don't want to completely skin my stave to make the curve.

      Cheers,

      - Shiro

    • Solveig
      Message 53 of 53 , Jan 16, 2004
        Noble Cousin!

        Greetings from Solveig! Canada speak is "first nations".