Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Another Book Question

  • Dean Wayland
    Message 1 of 23 , Jan 4, 2004
      Dear Solveig,

      The costume book that's been under discussion "Jidai Koromo Mo no
      nuikata", can you tell me what periods it covers, I'm especially
      interested in the momoyama era.

      With much thanks,

      Dean
      Head Of The Fight School
      http://www.thefightschool.demon.co.uk
      Message 2 of 23 , Jan 9, 2004
        starscrossing wrote:

        > Has anyone seen a copy of Make Your Own Japanese Clothes: Patterns
        > and Ideas for Modern Wear by John Marshall? Is it at all useful
        > either for SCA purposes or would I be purchasing it for mundane use?

        Evil book. Burn. Exorcize the ashes.

        Message 3 of 23 , Jan 9, 2004
          Solveig wrote:

          > Go to a bookstore and ask for:
          >
          > Jidai Koromo Mo no nuikata

          Jidai Ishô no Nuikata.

          Effingham
        • ekoogler1@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 23 , Jan 9, 2004
            Tony,
            It does help in getting proportions correct...I know I didn't have a clue as to how big the kosode, etc. should be on me until I read his book. I had been making everything 'way too small. So the part about measurements is, IMHO, helpful. Or does he have that wrong as well?

            Kiri
            Message 5 of 23 , Jan 9, 2004
              ekoogler1@... wrote:

              > Tony, It does help in getting proportions correct...I know I didn't have a
              > clue as to how big the kosode, etc. should be on me until I read his book. I
              > had been making everything 'way too small. So the part about measurements
              > is, IMHO, helpful. Or does he have that wrong as well?

              Not wrong, per se, but all modern. The lines aren't right. For example, at
              events, how often do you see proper kosode sleeves, and how often do you see
              square kimono sleeves? In my mind, it's like trying to make a 17th Century coat
              (à la King Geo. I) and using a modern jacket pattern.

              I think there are other places to get kimono/kosode patterns that address
              historical concerns and which don't do horrid things to nice historical clothing
              like turning them into party wear. <G>

              For the record, I do have a copy of the book, but I don't trust it. I keep it
              more as a reference (because so many other folks have it and use it).

              T.
            • Deborah K. Strub
              Message 6 of 23 , Jan 15, 2004
                I feel that it's still useable if you've done your homework and know where
                to change the dimensions.

                An open question for those who can speak/read Japanese. Can you recommend
                some good English-language sources for Japanese costuming? I have my own
                favorites but I don't have the advantage of being able to research Japanese
                language sources so I can't check books in the bibliographies to verify
                accuracy of the information. I can't be the only one out here who can't
                read Japanese but is seriously researching various things Japanese (my big
                thing is costuming/textiles).

                YIS,

                Murakami Tsuruko
                Baroness of Dragon's Laire
                Kingdom of An Tir

                > Has anyone seen a copy of Make Your Own Japanese Clothes: Patterns
                > and Ideas for Modern Wear by John Marshall? Is it at all useful
                > either for SCA purposes or would I be purchasing it for mundane use?

                Evil book. Burn. Exorcize the ashes.

                Yahoo! Groups Links

                To visit your group on the web, go to:

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
              • Solveig
                Message 7 of 23 , Dec 8, 2004

                  Greetings from Solveig! The nuikata book is a valuable resource, but you
                  sort of have to know what you are looking at. The book starts out with
                  a treatment of the sokutai which is a garment dating from the Heian period,
                  but the book also contains garments originating inthe late Muromachi or
                  even Edo period, and also contains pictures of bugaku costumes the
                  designs of which are pretty much at least a thousand years old. While the
                  discussion of the sokutai identifies it as a Heian jidai design, the text
                  for some of the garments pretty much omits that sort of information. You
                  can look up the garments in a kogojiten and get a good idea about their

                  | trash by my email filters. |