Real Katana Info for Gary Williams

  • Bob R
    Message 1 of 23 , Jan 4, 2004
      Pardon the personal post to the list but I don't have
      Gary Williams email address.

      Gary,

      Got you some starter info for your Gunto Sword. Here
      are what few folks I know have been able to come up
      with.

      Rick wrote:
      "I get: a resident of an unknown provence with rotten
      handwritting named MasaNori made this. I am pretty
      sure about the MasaNori but have no clue on the first
      few kanji. There is a MasaNori listed as a Seki smith
      around 1939. There is a couple of other MasaNori
      listed but I think the mei looks Seki; only a guess on
      that. Harry?"

      Harry wrote:
      "I would read this as SEKI JUU NORO MASANORI SAKU
      ���������������������. Noro is the family name, and
      there was a NORO EIKICHI ���������� ���� in Seki who
      signed
      MASANORI."

      Hope that this helps out in your search on more info
      on this particular smith I will probably have more
      information in the coming week. Send me a message off
      list so that I can get your email address. I will send
      the information directly to you instead of the whole
      list. My sincere apologies for posting this to the
      list. Thank you for the bandwidth.

      Bob R

      =====
      Check out "Cowboy" Bob's Books & Things at:
      http://asia.geocities.com/gentleman9/index.html

      http://search.yahoo.com/top2003
    • Dean Wayland
      Message 2 of 23 , Jan 4, 2004
        Dear Solveig,

        The costume book that's been under discussion "Jidai Koromo Mo no
        nuikata", can you tell me what periods it covers, I'm especially
        interested in the momoyama era.

        With much thanks,

        Dean
        Head Of The Fight School
        http://www.thefightschool.demon.co.uk
        Message 3 of 23 , Jan 9, 2004
          starscrossing wrote:

          > Has anyone seen a copy of Make Your Own Japanese Clothes: Patterns
          > and Ideas for Modern Wear by John Marshall? Is it at all useful
          > either for SCA purposes or would I be purchasing it for mundane use?

          Evil book. Burn. Exorcize the ashes.

          Message 4 of 23 , Jan 9, 2004
            Solveig wrote:

            > Go to a bookstore and ask for:
            >
            > Jidai Koromo Mo no nuikata

            Jidai Ishô no Nuikata.

            Effingham
          • ekoogler1@comcast.net
            Message 5 of 23 , Jan 9, 2004
              Tony,
              It does help in getting proportions correct...I know I didn't have a clue as to how big the kosode, etc. should be on me until I read his book. I had been making everything 'way too small. So the part about measurements is, IMHO, helpful. Or does he have that wrong as well?

              Kiri
              Message 6 of 23 , Jan 9, 2004
                ekoogler1@... wrote:

                > Tony, It does help in getting proportions correct...I know I didn't have a
                > clue as to how big the kosode, etc. should be on me until I read his book. I
                > had been making everything 'way too small. So the part about measurements
                > is, IMHO, helpful. Or does he have that wrong as well?

                Not wrong, per se, but all modern. The lines aren't right. For example, at
                events, how often do you see proper kosode sleeves, and how often do you see
                square kimono sleeves? In my mind, it's like trying to make a 17th Century coat
                (à la King Geo. I) and using a modern jacket pattern.

                I think there are other places to get kimono/kosode patterns that address
                historical concerns and which don't do horrid things to nice historical clothing
                like turning them into party wear. <G>

                For the record, I do have a copy of the book, but I don't trust it. I keep it
                more as a reference (because so many other folks have it and use it).

                T.
              • Deborah K. Strub
                Message 7 of 23 , Jan 15, 2004
                  I feel that it's still useable if you've done your homework and know where
                  to change the dimensions.

                  An open question for those who can speak/read Japanese. Can you recommend
                  some good English-language sources for Japanese costuming? I have my own
                  favorites but I don't have the advantage of being able to research Japanese
                  language sources so I can't check books in the bibliographies to verify
                  accuracy of the information. I can't be the only one out here who can't
                  read Japanese but is seriously researching various things Japanese (my big
                  thing is costuming/textiles).

                  YIS,

                  Murakami Tsuruko
                  Baroness of Dragon's Laire
                  Kingdom of An Tir

                  > Has anyone seen a copy of Make Your Own Japanese Clothes: Patterns
                  > and Ideas for Modern Wear by John Marshall? Is it at all useful
                  > either for SCA purposes or would I be purchasing it for mundane use?

                  Evil book. Burn. Exorcize the ashes.

                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                  To visit your group on the web, go to:

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                • Solveig
                  Message 8 of 23 , Dec 8, 2004

                    Greetings from Solveig! The nuikata book is a valuable resource, but you
                    sort of have to know what you are looking at. The book starts out with
                    a treatment of the sokutai which is a garment dating from the Heian period,
                    but the book also contains garments originating inthe late Muromachi or
                    even Edo period, and also contains pictures of bugaku costumes the
                    designs of which are pretty much at least a thousand years old. While the
                    discussion of the sokutai identifies it as a Heian jidai design, the text
                    for some of the garments pretty much omits that sort of information. You
                    can look up the garments in a kogojiten and get a good idea about their

                    | trash by my email filters. |