Re: SCA Katana

  • otagiri_tatsuzo
    Message 1 of 53 , Jan 3, 2004
      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Justin P Barney <lornix@j...> wrote:
      > Personally, I have yet to see a full stick of rattan that is
      straight. I
      > just work with the curve as it is. After buying the stave from the
      > merchant I am just careful about how I cut my sword out of it.
      >
      > I DO know that rattan does bend given a humid environment and
      > encouragement (ie. leaning against a wall for a while). Learned
      that one
      > the hard way. As far as how to control the bend is concerned, a brace
      > can be easily constructed, if one was so inclined.
      >
      > Ozumi Takezou
      >
      > On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 21:21:00 -0000 "mattfmcti" <mattfmcti@y...>
      > writes:
      > > Does anyone bother to put a curve into the blade? If so, what
      > > methods do you use, and how much curvature do you put into
      > > the blade?

      I also prefer to use the natural curve but I have set curves into 4'
      and longer blades by soaking the rattan in water for 24 hours and then
      bracing until a curve is set. My favourite brace was the tow hook on a
      Suzuki Samurai and a couple of concrete blocks used for a naginata. I
      like about 1" of curve for every foot of blade. The tricky part of
      setting curves is while you are setting a "vertical" curve, you have
      to be careful not to induce a horizonal (or left-right) curve. Curve
      the rattan before you shave it.

      Since most fighters prefer straight, narrow rattan and should be
      relatively easy to get a slightly curved thick piece that can be
      shaved. Just select the rattan so no one cut piece has multiple curves.

      Hope this helps
      --otagiri
    • Solveig
      Message 53 of 53 , Jan 16, 2004
        Noble Cousin!

        Greetings from Solveig! Canada speak is "first nations".