Re: [SCA-JML] OT - Real katana's

  • Tim McShane
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 3, 2004
      There's a great site at http://www.geocities.com/alchemyst/nihonto.htm that has all kinds of articles relating to Japanese swords, including translating signatures and a section on Military swords. Still might take you a while to get through everything to determine what you might have, but it makes for interesting reading!

      - Shiro

      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 3, 2004
        This site is mirrored at

        http://home.earthlink.net/~steinrl/nihonto.htm

        should you have trouble getting on either one.

        Showa era mei can be harder to find documentation on than those of
        the classic era. If it has six characters, it could include a date
        or other info as well as the smith. Also look for any telltale
        stamps.

        Always a small chance it could be an old blade in military mounts.
        (one can always hope....)

        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Tim McShane" <mcshanet@t...> wrote:
        > There's a great site at
        http://www.geocities.com/alchemyst/nihonto.htm that has all kinds of
        articles relating to Japanese swords, including translating
        signatures and a section on Military swords. Still might take you a
        while to get through everything to determine what you might have, but
        it makes for interesting reading!

        > - Shiro
      • Solveig
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 3, 2004
          Noble Cousin!

          Greetings from Solveig! Please send me a high quality jpeg of the tang as
          well. I don't promiss anything.