Re: [SCA-JML] OT - Real katana's

  • Bob R
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 2, 2004
      Gary,

      It may be an oil quenched Gunto sword OTOH it may be a
      traditionally made water quenched blade if you send me
      a scan or photos of the tang I will see if I can get
      them translated for you.

      Bob R

      =====
      Check out "Cowboy" Bob's Books & Things at:
      http://asia.geocities.com/gentleman9/index.html

      http://search.yahoo.com/top2003
    • Ii Saburou
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 2, 2004
        On Fri, 2 Jan 2004, Gary Williams wrote:

        > Since joining the SCA I have decided to start doing some research on a
        > sword. I have a WW2 Japanese Katana. The saya and hilt both appear to be
        > common for the army. I carefully took the hilt off and found that the
        > tang is engraved. I took pictures of the engraving and now need either
        > someone to translate or find a good site I can use to translate it
        > myself. I have looked at a few websites but i have not found any
        > similair markings to the ones on my sword.
        >
        > The markings are all made from a tool I suppose. the markings are all
        > small triangles arranged into patterns that I assume are kanji. I don't
        > have the pictures with me but there are 6 or 7 characters running down
        > the tang. If someone thinks they can help I can add the pictures as an
        > attachment.

        An attachment won't make it through the list, but go ahead and send it on
        to me. I don't guarantee anything, but I can ask people to look at it.
        You may also want to checkout Sword Forum International (Sword Forum
        International) and see if anyone there can help.

        k-Ii
      • Tim McShane
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 3, 2004
          There's a great site at http://www.geocities.com/alchemyst/nihonto.htm that has all kinds of articles relating to Japanese swords, including translating signatures and a section on Military swords. Still might take you a while to get through everything to determine what you might have, but it makes for interesting reading!

          - Shiro

          Since joining the SCA I have decided to start doing some research on a sword. I have a WW2 Japanese Katana. The saya and hilt both appear to be common for the army. I carefully took the hilt off and found that the tang is engraved. I took pictures of the engraving and now need either someone to translate or find a good site I can use to translate it myself. I have looked at a few websites but i have not found any similair markings to the ones on my sword.

          The markings are all made from a tool I suppose. the markings are all small triangles arranged into patterns that I assume are kanji. I don't have the pictures with me but there are 6 or 7 characters running down the tang. If someone thinks they can help I can add the pictures as an attachment.

          Any help would be appreciated,

          Cristen Fynlo

        • DP Gregersen
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 3, 2004
            This site is mirrored at

            http://home.earthlink.net/~steinrl/nihonto.htm

            should you have trouble getting on either one.

            Showa era mei can be harder to find documentation on than those of
            the classic era. If it has six characters, it could include a date
            or other info as well as the smith. Also look for any telltale
            stamps.

            Always a small chance it could be an old blade in military mounts.
            (one can always hope....)

            --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Tim McShane" <mcshanet@t...> wrote:
            > There's a great site at
            http://www.geocities.com/alchemyst/nihonto.htm that has all kinds of
            articles relating to Japanese swords, including translating
            signatures and a section on Military swords. Still might take you a
            while to get through everything to determine what you might have, but
            it makes for interesting reading!

            > - Shiro
          • Solveig
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 3, 2004
              Noble Cousin!

              Greetings from Solveig! Please send me a high quality jpeg of the tang as
              well. I don't promiss anything.