OT - Real katana's

  • Gary Williams
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 2, 2004
      Since joining the SCA I have decided to start doing some research on a sword. I have a WW2 Japanese Katana. The saya and hilt both appear to be common for the army. I carefully took the hilt off and found that the tang is engraved. I took pictures of the engraving and now need either someone to translate or find a good site I can use to translate it myself. I have looked at a few websites but i have not found any similair markings to the ones on my sword.

      The markings are all made from a tool I suppose. the markings are all small triangles arranged into patterns that I assume are kanji. I don't have the pictures with me but there are 6 or 7 characters running down the tang. If someone thinks they can help I can add the pictures as an attachment.

      Any help would be appreciated,

      Cristen Fynlo

    • Bob R
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 2, 2004
        Gary,

        It may be an oil quenched Gunto sword OTOH it may be a
        traditionally made water quenched blade if you send me
        a scan or photos of the tang I will see if I can get
        them translated for you.

        Bob R

        =====
        Check out "Cowboy" Bob's Books & Things at:
        http://asia.geocities.com/gentleman9/index.html

        http://search.yahoo.com/top2003
      • Ii Saburou
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 2, 2004
          On Fri, 2 Jan 2004, Gary Williams wrote:

          > Since joining the SCA I have decided to start doing some research on a
          > sword. I have a WW2 Japanese Katana. The saya and hilt both appear to be
          > common for the army. I carefully took the hilt off and found that the
          > tang is engraved. I took pictures of the engraving and now need either
          > someone to translate or find a good site I can use to translate it
          > myself. I have looked at a few websites but i have not found any
          > similair markings to the ones on my sword.
          >
          > The markings are all made from a tool I suppose. the markings are all
          > small triangles arranged into patterns that I assume are kanji. I don't
          > have the pictures with me but there are 6 or 7 characters running down
          > the tang. If someone thinks they can help I can add the pictures as an
          > attachment.

          An attachment won't make it through the list, but go ahead and send it on
          to me. I don't guarantee anything, but I can ask people to look at it.
          You may also want to checkout Sword Forum International (Sword Forum
          International) and see if anyone there can help.

          k-Ii
        • Tim McShane
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 3, 2004
            There's a great site at http://www.geocities.com/alchemyst/nihonto.htm that has all kinds of articles relating to Japanese swords, including translating signatures and a section on Military swords. Still might take you a while to get through everything to determine what you might have, but it makes for interesting reading!

            - Shiro

            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 3, 2004
              This site is mirrored at

              http://home.earthlink.net/~steinrl/nihonto.htm

              should you have trouble getting on either one.

              Showa era mei can be harder to find documentation on than those of
              the classic era. If it has six characters, it could include a date
              or other info as well as the smith. Also look for any telltale
              stamps.

              Always a small chance it could be an old blade in military mounts.
              (one can always hope....)

              --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Tim McShane" <mcshanet@t...> wrote:
              > There's a great site at
              http://www.geocities.com/alchemyst/nihonto.htm that has all kinds of
              articles relating to Japanese swords, including translating
              signatures and a section on Military swords. Still might take you a
              while to get through everything to determine what you might have, but
              it makes for interesting reading!

              > - Shiro
            • Solveig
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 3, 2004

                Greetings from Solveig! Please send me a high quality jpeg of the tang as
                well. I don't promiss anything.