Re: hakama sizing?

  • Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou Yukiie
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 2, 2004
      Konnichi wa, tomodachi,
      I have also found that if you wash known "Bleeders" with regular
      vinagar and potash, it helps set the color better, and prevents
      bleeding...

      Date Saburou Yukiie
      Yama Kaminari Ryu
      Shi wa hei to de aru - all are equal in the grave
      http://www.kabutographics.com (under reconstruction)
      kabuto@...

      -- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Elaine Koogler" <
      ekoogler1@c...> wrote:
      > Yes, all sorts of colors bleed...but I've found that if I use a color
      magnet sheet (like Shout), you have much less of the bleeding
      color show up on other things in the wash load.

      > Kiri
    • Elaine Koogler
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 2, 2004
        True...though I've never used potash. I just make sure that I dry the garments in as hot a dryer as the fabric can stand...the combination of vinegar and heat will generally set color. However, I have found some particularly pernicious reds that refuse to set no matter what!

        Kiri

        Everybody can be great ... because anybody can serve.
        You don't have to have a college degree to serve.
        You don't have to make your subject and verb agree to serve.
        You only need a heart full of grace. A soul generated by love.

        > - Martin Luther King, Jr.

        I have also found that if you wash known "Bleeders" with regular
        vinagar and potash, it helps set the color better, and prevents
        bleeding...

        Date Saburou Yukiie

        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 9, 2004
          Jason wrote:

          > Using the file pattern for making a pair of hakamas, is there any
          > waist sizing that I need to do, or do you just adjust the size of the
          > waist as you tie it while wearing?

          Given that it's totally open on both sides, that's all the "adjustment" you
          need. <G>

          Heck, I'm huge, and I can still wear normally made hakama -- the cords just
          aren't long enough. (And with this new diet, that shouldn't be a problem for
          long -- 20 pounds down so far of the total 130 I want to lose.)

          Effingham
        • Bubba
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 10, 2004
            Anthony J. Bryant wrote:

            > Given that it's totally open on both sides, that's all the
            > "adjustment" you need. <G>
            >
            > Heck, I'm huge, and I can still wear normally made hakama -- the
            > cords just aren't long enough. (And with this new diet, that
            > shouldn't be a problem for long -- 20 pounds down so far of the total
            > 130 I want to lose.)

            One of my guys tried on my hakama a while back, before I made his, and the
            sides weren't open anymore ;)
            --
            Kagemasa
            mysticz28@...
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 12, 2004
              Hehe Been there-I have 2 hakamas i lend out for Gold
              Key, one made larger with a longer hem, and one with a
              shorter hem, but the waist is made a bit smaller on
              the shorter one. The short one uses 4 yds, the longer
              one 5. yes, the one for taller lads have longer
              ties(for those robust lads)In making hakama for
              myself- i usually try to space the pleats so that when
              worn, the sides create a nice,ovalish, diamond-shaped
              space.

              Tama-chan