Re: [SCA-JML] Re: hakama sizing?

  • Elaine Koogler
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 2, 2004
      Yes, all sorts of colors bleed...but I've found that if I use a color magnet sheet (like Shout), you have much less of the bleeding color show up on other things in the wash load.

      Kiri

      Everybody can be great ... because anybody can serve.
      You don't have to have a college degree to serve.
      You don't have to make your subject and verb agree to serve.
      You only need a heart full of grace. A soul generated by love.

      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 2, 2004
        Konnichi wa, tomodachi,
        I have also found that if you wash known "Bleeders" with regular
        vinagar and potash, it helps set the color better, and prevents
        bleeding...

        Date Saburou Yukiie
        Yama Kaminari Ryu
        Shi wa hei to de aru - all are equal in the grave
        http://www.kabutographics.com (under reconstruction)
        kabuto@...

        -- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Elaine Koogler" <
        ekoogler1@c...> wrote:
        > Yes, all sorts of colors bleed...but I've found that if I use a color
        magnet sheet (like Shout), you have much less of the bleeding
        color show up on other things in the wash load.

        > Kiri
      • Elaine Koogler
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 2, 2004
          True...though I've never used potash. I just make sure that I dry the garments in as hot a dryer as the fabric can stand...the combination of vinegar and heat will generally set color. However, I have found some particularly pernicious reds that refuse to set no matter what!

          Kiri

          Everybody can be great ... because anybody can serve.
          You don't have to have a college degree to serve.
          You don't have to make your subject and verb agree to serve.
          You only need a heart full of grace. A soul generated by love.

          > - Martin Luther King, Jr.

          I have also found that if you wash known "Bleeders" with regular
          vinagar and potash, it helps set the color better, and prevents
          bleeding...

          Date Saburou Yukiie

          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 9, 2004
            Jason wrote:

            > Using the file pattern for making a pair of hakamas, is there any
            > waist sizing that I need to do, or do you just adjust the size of the
            > waist as you tie it while wearing?

            Given that it's totally open on both sides, that's all the "adjustment" you
            need. <G>

            Heck, I'm huge, and I can still wear normally made hakama -- the cords just
            aren't long enough. (And with this new diet, that shouldn't be a problem for
            long -- 20 pounds down so far of the total 130 I want to lose.)

            Effingham
          • Bubba
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 10, 2004
              Anthony J. Bryant wrote:

              > Given that it's totally open on both sides, that's all the
              > "adjustment" you need. <G>
              >
              > Heck, I'm huge, and I can still wear normally made hakama -- the
              > cords just aren't long enough. (And with this new diet, that
              > shouldn't be a problem for long -- 20 pounds down so far of the total
              > 130 I want to lose.)

              One of my guys tried on my hakama a while back, before I made his, and the
              sides weren't open anymore ;)
              --
              Kagemasa
              mysticz28@...
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 12, 2004
                Hehe Been there-I have 2 hakamas i lend out for Gold
                Key, one made larger with a longer hem, and one with a
                shorter hem, but the waist is made a bit smaller on
                the shorter one. The short one uses 4 yds, the longer
                one 5. yes, the one for taller lads have longer
                ties(for those robust lads)In making hakama for
                myself- i usually try to space the pleats so that when
                worn, the sides create a nice,ovalish, diamond-shaped
                space.

                Tama-chan