Re: [SCA-JML] Re: hakama sizing?

  • kim nakamori
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 1, 2004
      Besides the futon-you can also lay your clothes,
      folded on 3 foled sheets- then add another folded
      sheet on top an pile about 2 folded blankets.
      That is of course, if you don't use your garb
      regularly, if not- hang hakama with trouser hangers,
      clipping the waistband in the top clamps. It also
      depends on what kind of fabric your hakama are made
      of. Storing can be done by folding your hakama, then
      wraping it in white tissue paper or washi, then store
      flat in a chest or tansu. Those vacuum-seal
      space-saver bags work well for brocade,an keep the
      bugs and moths out. Also after washing and drying of
      regular hakama, it is good to iron them using a spray
      starch, but I usually don't do that for my kendo ones,
      cause they get all bishu-bishu anyways-unless i am
      storing them of course.
      Note: Kendo Hakama and keikogi are dyed with
      indigo-(the ones from japan anyways) and will bleed
      everytime you wash them til they fade to a nice, soft
      greyish. so don't wash them with light colors. (hehe
      yes, they sometimes dye your skin or underclothes
      after a rigourous workout)

      Tama-chan

      http://search.yahoo.com/top2003
    • Solveig
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 1, 2004

        Greetings from Solveig! As I recall, some of you are interested in
        recreating the Yayoi Period. If so, you may be interested in the
        following book:

        http://www.amazon.co.jp/exec/obidos/ASIN/4642077588/qid=1073015224/sr=1-317/ref=sr_1_0_317/250-8921280-3628261

      • Elaine Koogler
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 2, 2004
          Yes, all sorts of colors bleed...but I've found that if I use a color magnet sheet (like Shout), you have much less of the bleeding color show up on other things in the wash load.

          Kiri

          Everybody can be great ... because anybody can serve.
          You don't have to have a college degree to serve.
          You don't have to make your subject and verb agree to serve.
          You only need a heart full of grace. A soul generated by love.

          > - Martin Luther King, Jr.

          Besides the futon-you can also lay your clothes,
          folded on 3 foled sheets- then add another folded
          sheet on top an pile about 2 folded blankets.
          That is of course, if you don't use your garb
          regularly, if not- hang hakama with trouser hangers,
          clipping the waistband in the top clamps. It also
          depends on what kind of fabric your hakama are made
          of. Storing can be done by folding your hakama, then
          wraping it in white tissue paper or washi, then store
          flat in a chest or tansu. Those vacuum-seal
          space-saver bags work well for brocade,an keep the
          bugs and moths out. Also after washing and drying of
          regular hakama, it is good to iron them using a spray
          starch, but I usually don't do that for my kendo ones,
          cause they get all bishu-bishu anyways-unless i am
          storing them of course.
          Note: Kendo Hakama and keikogi are dyed with
          indigo-(the ones from japan anyways) and will bleed
          everytime you wash them til they fade to a nice, soft
          greyish. so don't wash them with light colors. (hehe
          yes, they sometimes dye your skin or underclothes
          after a rigourous workout)

          Tama-chan

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou Yukiie
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 2, 2004
            Konnichi wa, tomodachi,
            I have also found that if you wash known "Bleeders" with regular
            vinagar and potash, it helps set the color better, and prevents
            bleeding...

            Date Saburou Yukiie
            Yama Kaminari Ryu
            Shi wa hei to de aru - all are equal in the grave
            http://www.kabutographics.com (under reconstruction)
            kabuto@...

            -- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Elaine Koogler" <
            ekoogler1@c...> wrote:
            > Yes, all sorts of colors bleed...but I've found that if I use a color
            magnet sheet (like Shout), you have much less of the bleeding
            color show up on other things in the wash load.

            > Kiri
          • Elaine Koogler
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 2, 2004
              True...though I've never used potash. I just make sure that I dry the garments in as hot a dryer as the fabric can stand...the combination of vinegar and heat will generally set color. However, I have found some particularly pernicious reds that refuse to set no matter what!

              Kiri

              Everybody can be great ... because anybody can serve.
              You don't have to have a college degree to serve.
              You don't have to make your subject and verb agree to serve.
              You only need a heart full of grace. A soul generated by love.

              > - Martin Luther King, Jr.

              I have also found that if you wash known "Bleeders" with regular
              vinagar and potash, it helps set the color better, and prevents
              bleeding...

              Date Saburou Yukiie

              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 9, 2004
                Jason wrote:

                > Using the file pattern for making a pair of hakamas, is there any
                > waist sizing that I need to do, or do you just adjust the size of the
                > waist as you tie it while wearing?

                Given that it's totally open on both sides, that's all the "adjustment" you
                need. <G>

                Heck, I'm huge, and I can still wear normally made hakama -- the cords just
                aren't long enough. (And with this new diet, that shouldn't be a problem for
                long -- 20 pounds down so far of the total 130 I want to lose.)

                Effingham
              • Bubba
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 10, 2004
                  Anthony J. Bryant wrote:

                  > Given that it's totally open on both sides, that's all the
                  > "adjustment" you need. <G>
                  >
                  > Heck, I'm huge, and I can still wear normally made hakama -- the
                  > cords just aren't long enough. (And with this new diet, that
                  > shouldn't be a problem for long -- 20 pounds down so far of the total
                  > 130 I want to lose.)

                  One of my guys tried on my hakama a while back, before I made his, and the
                  sides weren't open anymore ;)
                  --
                  Kagemasa
                  mysticz28@...
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 12, 2004
                    Hehe Been there-I have 2 hakamas i lend out for Gold
                    Key, one made larger with a longer hem, and one with a
                    shorter hem, but the waist is made a bit smaller on
                    the shorter one. The short one uses 4 yds, the longer
                    one 5. yes, the one for taller lads have longer
                    ties(for those robust lads)In making hakama for
                    myself- i usually try to space the pleats so that when
                    worn, the sides create a nice,ovalish, diamond-shaped
                    space.

                    Tama-chan