Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Another Book Question

  • Solveig
    Message 1 of 23 , Dec 31, 2003

      Greetings from Solveig! This book comes with a dust jacket which may or may
      not still be attached to a copy in a used book store.

      Have you learned to read Japanese yet? The title is fairly distinctive and
      is posted to the Amazon web page.

      I am including the title below. Lately, I have had a lot of trouble with
      outgoing Japanese email, so it may not come through at your end.

      éûë“àþè÷ÇÃñDÇ¢ïš â¸í˜Å\ïúå„ïiǕíÜêSǐǵLJì™ñ{ì`ìùàþïûÇÃç\ê¨ãZñ@

      Go to a bookstore and ask for:

      Jidai Koromo Mo no nuikata

      The actual title probably uses the onyomi readings for koromo and mo, but
      you will probably do better with the kunyomi readings.

      I have attached a PDF of the title. You should be able to view and print it
      even if you do not have Japanese installed on your computer.

    • Elaine Koogler
      Message 2 of 23 , Jan 2, 2004
        That would be great and I'd really appreciate it. The new price is prohibitive, especially as I'd have to pay shipping on top of that. So if you can find a used one, in decent condition, I'd really be grateful!

        Kiri

        Everybody can be great ... because anybody can serve.
        You don't have to have a college degree to serve.
        You don't have to make your subject and verb agree to serve.
        You only need a heart full of grace. A soul generated by love.

        Message 3 of 23 , Jan 4, 2004
          Pardon the personal post to the list but I don't have
          Gary Williams email address.

          Gary,

          Got you some starter info for your Gunto Sword. Here
          are what few folks I know have been able to come up
          with.

          Rick wrote:
          "I get: a resident of an unknown provence with rotten
          handwritting named MasaNori made this. I am pretty
          sure about the MasaNori but have no clue on the first
          few kanji. There is a MasaNori listed as a Seki smith
          around 1939. There is a couple of other MasaNori
          listed but I think the mei looks Seki; only a guess on
          that. Harry?"

          Harry wrote:
          "I would read this as SEKI JUU NORO MASANORI SAKU
          ���������������������. Noro is the family name, and
          there was a NORO EIKICHI ���������� ���� in Seki who
          signed
          MASANORI."

          Hope that this helps out in your search on more info
          on this particular smith I will probably have more
          information in the coming week. Send me a message off
          list so that I can get your email address. I will send
          the information directly to you instead of the whole
          list. My sincere apologies for posting this to the
          list. Thank you for the bandwidth.

          Bob R

          =====
          Check out "Cowboy" Bob's Books & Things at:
          http://asia.geocities.com/gentleman9/index.html

          http://search.yahoo.com/top2003
        • Dean Wayland
          Message 4 of 23 , Jan 4, 2004
            Dear Solveig,

            The costume book that's been under discussion "Jidai Koromo Mo no
            nuikata", can you tell me what periods it covers, I'm especially
            interested in the momoyama era.

            With much thanks,

            Dean
            Head Of The Fight School
            http://www.thefightschool.demon.co.uk
            Message 5 of 23 , Jan 9, 2004
              starscrossing wrote:

              > Has anyone seen a copy of Make Your Own Japanese Clothes: Patterns
              > and Ideas for Modern Wear by John Marshall? Is it at all useful
              > either for SCA purposes or would I be purchasing it for mundane use?

              Evil book. Burn. Exorcize the ashes.

              Message 6 of 23 , Jan 9, 2004
                Solveig wrote:

                > Go to a bookstore and ask for:
                >
                > Jidai Koromo Mo no nuikata

                Jidai Ishô no Nuikata.

                Effingham
              • ekoogler1@comcast.net
                Message 7 of 23 , Jan 9, 2004
                  Tony,
                  It does help in getting proportions correct...I know I didn't have a clue as to how big the kosode, etc. should be on me until I read his book. I had been making everything 'way too small. So the part about measurements is, IMHO, helpful. Or does he have that wrong as well?

                  Kiri
                  Message 8 of 23 , Jan 9, 2004
                    ekoogler1@... wrote:

                    > Tony, It does help in getting proportions correct...I know I didn't have a
                    > clue as to how big the kosode, etc. should be on me until I read his book. I
                    > had been making everything 'way too small. So the part about measurements
                    > is, IMHO, helpful. Or does he have that wrong as well?

                    Not wrong, per se, but all modern. The lines aren't right. For example, at
                    events, how often do you see proper kosode sleeves, and how often do you see
                    square kimono sleeves? In my mind, it's like trying to make a 17th Century coat
                    (à la King Geo. I) and using a modern jacket pattern.

                    I think there are other places to get kimono/kosode patterns that address
                    historical concerns and which don't do horrid things to nice historical clothing
                    like turning them into party wear. <G>

                    For the record, I do have a copy of the book, but I don't trust it. I keep it
                    more as a reference (because so many other folks have it and use it).

                    T.
                  • Deborah K. Strub
                    Message 9 of 23 , Jan 15, 2004
                      I feel that it's still useable if you've done your homework and know where
                      to change the dimensions.

                      An open question for those who can speak/read Japanese. Can you recommend
                      some good English-language sources for Japanese costuming? I have my own
                      favorites but I don't have the advantage of being able to research Japanese
                      language sources so I can't check books in the bibliographies to verify
                      accuracy of the information. I can't be the only one out here who can't
                      read Japanese but is seriously researching various things Japanese (my big
                      thing is costuming/textiles).

                      YIS,

                      Murakami Tsuruko
                      Baroness of Dragon's Laire
                      Kingdom of An Tir

                      > Has anyone seen a copy of Make Your Own Japanese Clothes: Patterns
                      > and Ideas for Modern Wear by John Marshall? Is it at all useful
                      > either for SCA purposes or would I be purchasing it for mundane use?

                      Evil book. Burn. Exorcize the ashes.

                      Yahoo! Groups Links

                      To visit your group on the web, go to:

                      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                    • Solveig
                      Message 10 of 23 , Dec 8, 2004

                        Greetings from Solveig! The nuikata book is a valuable resource, but you
                        sort of have to know what you are looking at. The book starts out with
                        a treatment of the sokutai which is a garment dating from the Heian period,
                        but the book also contains garments originating inthe late Muromachi or
                        even Edo period, and also contains pictures of bugaku costumes the
                        designs of which are pretty much at least a thousand years old. While the
                        discussion of the sokutai identifies it as a Heian jidai design, the text
                        for some of the garments pretty much omits that sort of information. You
                        can look up the garments in a kogojiten and get a good idea about their

                        | trash by my email filters. |