RE: [SCA-JML] Re: Kumihimo ,colors, patterns

  • Deborah K. Strub
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 30, 2003
      Greetings,

      According to the Samurai Undressed, kumihimo does fall within our time
      period. There is some sketchy evidence of it's existence as early as the
      Jomon period. By the Kamakura period it was being used for armor lacing,
      among other things. I believe one of it's uses in Heian times was to tie
      kosode closed. The bigger question is what types (flat, round, square,
      etc.) and colors are period?
      Since it was used so much with armor, perhaps you can find more information
      in books that discuss Japanese armor in detail.

      YIS,

      Tsuruko