RE: [SCA-JML] Another Book Question

  • Deborah K. Strub
    Message 1 of 23 , Dec 30, 2003
      Greetings,

      I have a copy of the book and have spoken with the author. He is talking
      about modern Japanese clothing, however, I find it useful for SCA
      applications keeping in mind that you'll need to change a few dimensions
      depending on what time period you're doing.

      YIS,

      Tsuruko

      Message 2 of 23 , Dec 30, 2003
        At 07:08 PM 12/30/2003 +0000, you wrote:
        >Has anyone seen a copy of Make Your Own Japanese Clothes: Patterns
        >and Ideas for Modern Wear by John Marshall? Is it at all useful
        >either for SCA purposes or would I be purchasing it for mundane use?

        To my good friend, Kitsume-dono!

        Next time you're over here in Riverwatch (January movie night WILL BE
        "Onmyoji"--at my house, time and date to be decided!), remind me and I'll
        show you my copy of the book. Most of the patterns are pretty mundane, but
        I found it useful in that I am not very good at figuring out my own
        patterns and this book helped.

        Written in the hour of the Ram, from my home Watching the Great River, on
        the Thirtieth day of the Twelfth moon of the Fifteenth year of Heisei.

        Ki no Torahime

        Riverwatch, Calontir
      • Solveig
        Message 3 of 23 , Dec 30, 2003

          >Has anyone seen a copy of Make Your Own Japanese Clothes: Patterns
          >and Ideas for Modern Wear by John Marshall? Is it at all useful
          >either for SCA purposes or would I be purchasing it for mundane use?

          The clothing in this book is based on modern Japanese folkwear. If you
          are interested in learning how to make hapi and monpe, then buy this
          book. If you want to learn how to recreate medieval clothing, then
          get the nuikata book.

        • Deborah K. Strub
          Message 4 of 23 , Dec 30, 2003
            Do you have information on the nuikata book? How easy is it to get?

            YIS,

            Tsuruko

            Message 5 of 23 , Dec 30, 2003

              Greetings from Solveig! I bought a copy several years ago. Try ordering it
              from Amazon at:

              http://www.amazon.co.jp/exec/obidos/ASIN/4773984058/qid=1072852602/sr=1-20/ref=sr_1_2_20/250-8921280-3628261

            • Elaine Koogler
              Message 6 of 23 , Dec 31, 2003
                Solvieg,
                Thanks for the URL...however, can you give us name/author information so that those of us who don't speak Japanese can order it?

                Thanks!

                Kiri

                Everybody can be great ... because anybody can serve.
                You don't have to have a college degree to serve.
                You don't have to make your subject and verb agree to serve.
                You only need a heart full of grace. A soul generated by love.

                > - Martin Luther King, Jr.

                Greetings from Solveig! I bought a copy several years ago. Try ordering it
                from Amazon at:

                http://www.amazon.co.jp/exec/obidos/ASIN/4773984058/qid=1072852602/sr=1-20/ref=sr_1_2_20/250-8921280-3628261

              • Bob R
                Message 7 of 23 , Dec 31, 2003
                  If I'm reading it right all you need will be this
                  ISBN: 4773984058 That should locate the book anywhere
                  that has it in stock. Also if you look to the right
                  hand side of that page there is a link that will turn
                  some of the ordering info to English so as to help
                  those of us who's first and only language is English.

                  Bob R

                  --- Elaine Koogler <ekoogler1@...> wrote:
                  > Solvieg,
                  > Thanks for the URL...however, can you give us
                  > name/author information so that those of us who
                  > don't speak Japanese can order it?
                  >
                  > Thanks!
                  >
                  > Kiri
                  >
                  > Everybody can be great ... because anybody can
                  > serve.
                  > You don't have to have a college degree to serve.
                  > You don't have to make your subject and verb agree
                  > to serve.
                  > You only need a heart full of grace. A soul
                  > generated by love.
                  > >
                  > > - Martin Luther King, Jr.

                  =====
                  Check out "Cowboy" Bob's Books & Things at:
                  http://asia.geocities.com/gentleman9/index.html

                  http://search.yahoo.com/top2003
                • starscrossing
                  Message 8 of 23 , Dec 31, 2003
                    Indeed. A currency converter is also a help. 18,000 yen at today's
                    exchange rate (31 December 2003) is 168.14 in US Dollars. (Owchie!)
                    Not in my price range at the moment. Not in many people's price
                    range, I suspect.

                    Another book to save up for.

                    Fujiwara no Kitsume
                    currently Lady of the Small Budget

                    (That puppy had better be hardcover for that price!)
                  • Elaine Koogler
                    Message 9 of 23 , Dec 31, 2003
                      All the "Display in English" does is to display the "Place in Cart" part in English...nothing else. When you click on the "Help in English", it simply tells you that it will help you placed the order, and that your machine needs to be able to display Japanese characters. I tried the ISBN in the Amazon US site, along with Addall.com, which searches many various booksellers. The search in both places was unsuccessful, which leads me to believe that the book is only available in Japan...sigh.

                      Kiri

                      PS: Thanks anyway for the help!

                      =====

                      Message 10 of 23 , Dec 31, 2003
                        > Next time you're over here in Riverwatch (January movie night WILL
                        BE
                        > "Onmyoji"--at my house, time and date to be decided!), remind me
                        and I'll
                        > show you my copy of the book. Most of the patterns are pretty
                        mundane, but
                        > I found it useful in that I am not very good at figuring out my own
                        > patterns and this book helped.

                        Thank you, Lady who Watches the River.

                        I will hold off making any purchases until I can look at the book. I
                        really want a couple of the patterns mundanely - like the monpei and
                        happi, and if that's all that's useful to me, then there's no sense
                        in purchasing the book. I'd rather put my hard earned dollars toward
                        the more useful book with the higher price tag.

                        I'm on the Riverwatch list, so just make sure to post the time and
                        date of Movie Night there.

                        Fujiwara no Kitsume
                        Deodar, Calontir
                      • Solveig
                        Message 11 of 23 , Dec 31, 2003

                          Greetings from Solveig! Just order it from Amazon in Japan. They will
                          happily ship the book to you. That is why I posted the URL. Ordering
                          from Amazon is the easiest way for you to get the book. Incidentally,
                          the ISBN 4773984058 is part of the URL. Amazon claims that they can
                          ship the book in less than a week. Incidentally, Amazon Japan now has
                          English Language web pages as well as Japanese Language web pages, so
                          you do not even have to know Japanese to order from them.

                          No. The book is not distributed in the United States. Your local
                          Barnes and Noble will have a hard time getting it for you.

                          The book is oversized, hardbound, has colour plates, and it has
                          patterns with dimensions in centimeters. You should scale up by
                          about 10% to accomodate modern human builds.

                        • Bob R
                          Message 12 of 23 , Dec 31, 2003
                            Fujiwara no Kitsume and Kiri,

                            168.14 is the brand new from Amazon Japan price it may
                            however be available in some of the second hand shops
                            here in Japan at a much discounted price. And yes
                            Amazon Japan is still working out all their bugs on
                            the English version of their site. Not all of their
                            pages are done as yet. Nor do I see them rushing to
                            finish the obscure books that they believe that
                            Out-of-country buyers are interested in. I will do
                            some poking around and see what prices I can come up
                            with. If anyone who does already own the book can send
                            me a scan of the cover it will help to speed up my
                            process immensely.

                            Bob R

                            =====

                            Message 13 of 23 , Dec 31, 2003

                              Greetings from Solveig! This book comes with a dust jacket which may or may
                              not still be attached to a copy in a used book store.

                              Have you learned to read Japanese yet? The title is fairly distinctive and
                              is posted to the Amazon web page.

                              I am including the title below. Lately, I have had a lot of trouble with
                              outgoing Japanese email, so it may not come through at your end.

                              éûë“àþè÷ÇÃñDÇ¢ïš â¸í˜Å\ïúå„ïiǕíÜêSǐǵLJì™ñ{ì`ìùàþïûÇÃç\ê¨ãZñ@

                              Go to a bookstore and ask for:

                              Jidai Koromo Mo no nuikata

                              The actual title probably uses the onyomi readings for koromo and mo, but
                              you will probably do better with the kunyomi readings.

                              I have attached a PDF of the title. You should be able to view and print it
                              even if you do not have Japanese installed on your computer.

                            • Elaine Koogler
                              Message 14 of 23 , Jan 2, 2004
                                That would be great and I'd really appreciate it. The new price is prohibitive, especially as I'd have to pay shipping on top of that. So if you can find a used one, in decent condition, I'd really be grateful!

                                Message 15 of 23 , Jan 4, 2004
                                  Pardon the personal post to the list but I don't have
                                  Gary Williams email address.

                                  Gary,

                                  Got you some starter info for your Gunto Sword. Here
                                  are what few folks I know have been able to come up
                                  with.

                                  Rick wrote:
                                  "I get: a resident of an unknown provence with rotten
                                  handwritting named MasaNori made this. I am pretty
                                  sure about the MasaNori but have no clue on the first
                                  few kanji. There is a MasaNori listed as a Seki smith
                                  around 1939. There is a couple of other MasaNori
                                  listed but I think the mei looks Seki; only a guess on
                                  that. Harry?"

                                  Harry wrote:
                                  "I would read this as SEKI JUU NORO MASANORI SAKU
                                  ���������������������. Noro is the family name, and
                                  there was a NORO EIKICHI ���������� ���� in Seki who
                                  signed
                                  MASANORI."

                                  Hope that this helps out in your search on more info
                                  on this particular smith I will probably have more
                                  information in the coming week. Send me a message off
                                  list so that I can get your email address. I will send
                                  the information directly to you instead of the whole
                                  list. My sincere apologies for posting this to the
                                  list. Thank you for the bandwidth.

                                  Bob R

                                  =====
                                  Check out "Cowboy" Bob's Books & Things at:
                                  http://asia.geocities.com/gentleman9/index.html

                                  http://search.yahoo.com/top2003
                                • Dean Wayland
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Jan 4, 2004
                                    Dear Solveig,

                                    The costume book that's been under discussion "Jidai Koromo Mo no
                                    nuikata", can you tell me what periods it covers, I'm especially
                                    interested in the momoyama era.

                                    With much thanks,

                                    Dean
                                    Head Of The Fight School
                                    http://www.thefightschool.demon.co.uk
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Jan 9, 2004
                                      starscrossing wrote:

                                      > Has anyone seen a copy of Make Your Own Japanese Clothes: Patterns
                                      > and Ideas for Modern Wear by John Marshall? Is it at all useful
                                      > either for SCA purposes or would I be purchasing it for mundane use?

                                      Evil book. Burn. Exorcize the ashes.

                                      Message 18 of 23 , Jan 9, 2004
                                        Solveig wrote:

                                        > Go to a bookstore and ask for:
                                        >
                                        > Jidai Koromo Mo no nuikata

                                        Jidai Ishô no Nuikata.

                                        Effingham
                                      • ekoogler1@comcast.net
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Jan 9, 2004
                                          Tony,
                                          It does help in getting proportions correct...I know I didn't have a clue as to how big the kosode, etc. should be on me until I read his book. I had been making everything 'way too small. So the part about measurements is, IMHO, helpful. Or does he have that wrong as well?

                                          Kiri
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Jan 9, 2004
                                            ekoogler1@... wrote:

                                            > Tony, It does help in getting proportions correct...I know I didn't have a
                                            > clue as to how big the kosode, etc. should be on me until I read his book. I
                                            > had been making everything 'way too small. So the part about measurements
                                            > is, IMHO, helpful. Or does he have that wrong as well?

                                            Not wrong, per se, but all modern. The lines aren't right. For example, at
                                            events, how often do you see proper kosode sleeves, and how often do you see
                                            square kimono sleeves? In my mind, it's like trying to make a 17th Century coat
                                            (à la King Geo. I) and using a modern jacket pattern.

                                            I think there are other places to get kimono/kosode patterns that address
                                            historical concerns and which don't do horrid things to nice historical clothing
                                            like turning them into party wear. <G>

                                            For the record, I do have a copy of the book, but I don't trust it. I keep it
                                            more as a reference (because so many other folks have it and use it).

                                            T.
                                          • Deborah K. Strub
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Jan 15, 2004
                                              I feel that it's still useable if you've done your homework and know where
                                              to change the dimensions.

                                              An open question for those who can speak/read Japanese. Can you recommend
                                              some good English-language sources for Japanese costuming? I have my own
                                              favorites but I don't have the advantage of being able to research Japanese
                                              language sources so I can't check books in the bibliographies to verify
                                              accuracy of the information. I can't be the only one out here who can't
                                              read Japanese but is seriously researching various things Japanese (my big
                                              thing is costuming/textiles).

                                              YIS,

                                              Murakami Tsuruko
                                              Baroness of Dragon's Laire
                                              Kingdom of An Tir

                                              Message 22 of 23 , Dec 8, 2004

                                                Greetings from Solveig! The nuikata book is a valuable resource, but you
                                                sort of have to know what you are looking at. The book starts out with
                                                a treatment of the sokutai which is a garment dating from the Heian period,
                                                but the book also contains garments originating inthe late Muromachi or
                                                even Edo period, and also contains pictures of bugaku costumes the
                                                designs of which are pretty much at least a thousand years old. While the
                                                discussion of the sokutai identifies it as a Heian jidai design, the text
                                                for some of the garments pretty much omits that sort of information. You
                                                can look up the garments in a kogojiten and get a good idea about their

                                                | trash by my email filters. |