Re: [SCA-JML] Bibliography, clothing, and persona

  • markejag@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 8, 2000
      nostrand@... writes:

      << Avoiding metallic threads would be a start, I assume. >>
      Short interjection and additions to previous conversation.....

      Look carefully at the illuminations, some of them are plain silk, of various
      thickness and weaves and have the gold couched on the fabric with the
      'brocade' patterns embroidered all over.
      I am sure Aoi and Hiraizumi have reliable sources of pictures to look at. I
      have noticed that the brocade patterns Aoi spoke of (
      www.yusoku.com/koaoi.html - the kikko or tortoise shell pattern) can also be
      traced to the Heian period as an example of complete covering, overall
      embroidered.

      Fumio
    • Kass McGann
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 8, 2000
        > Look carefully at the illuminations, some of them are plain silk,
        of various
        > thickness and weaves and have the gold couched on the fabric with
        the
        > 'brocade' patterns embroidered all over.
        > I am sure Aoi and Hiraizumi have reliable sources of pictures to
        look at. I
        > have noticed that the brocade patterns Aoi spoke of (
        > www.yusoku.com/koaoi.html - the kikko or tortoise shell pattern)
        can also be
        > traced to the Heian period as an example of complete covering,
        overall
        > embroidered.
        >
        > Fumio

        Well, it's not "embroidered" but rather the metalic threads were
        brocaded into the fabric when it was woven, but you have the right
        idea. Metallic threads ARE NOT taboo...
        Aoi
      • Marc Choronzey
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 10, 2000
          Konichiwa All,

          I Agree, my persona comes and goes between late Heian and Muromachi
          periods...

          Is there a concensus on what period is the easier to respect or is the most
          popular?

          Domo,

          Sayonara.
          "A man who judges others but not himself judges badly..."

          Hebikage Shimaha
          (Marc Choronzey)
          514-388-1790