Re: [SCA-JML] General Purpose Knife

  • Solveig
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 12, 2003

      Greetings from Solveig! There is no such thing as a general purpose Japanese
      knife. The Japanese have a lot of specialized knives. I never owned a fruit
      knife until I lived in Japan. I doubt that I even knew that fruit knives
      existed. If you are interested in a table knife, then you should tell you
      that generally speaking, the Japanese did not have them. Cutting things up
      was performed in the kitchen. In fact, the Japanese word for chef basically
      meant carver. The premier place in the late medieval noble kitchen went to
      those who cut things. I can provide references if you read Japanese.