Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Materials question

  • Bubba
    Message 1 of 20 , Dec 12, 2003
      Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou Yukiie wrote:
      > Konnichi wa, tomodachi,
      > If you are going to make the proper kikko, even thinner Ga
      > material would suffice, and the dimensions can be smaller..I
      > know CNC programming, and these things can be easilly taken
      > into acount...
      >
      > I suggest 18 or 20 Ga cold rolled steel...you can give it a coating
      > of rustoleum, to provide anti-rust protection...and when sewn into
      > the fabric, it will provide you plenty of protection...I still suggest
      > 3/4 inch max point to point,with four holes drilled in each...you
      > can make a simple jig to allow for drilling/piercing...

      Kumo-sama punched the holes in these, so no jig involved. These were
      actually made for weaving into chain so they have a hole at each corner, but
      4 larger holes closer to the center shouldn't be an issue. I'll let him make
      that decision, though ;)

      Speaking of CNC, I've decided that I need a CNC router so I can
      easily/quickly whip out molds for leather and ABS parts. The only way I can
      express my sculpting ability is "I suck", but CAD is a piece of cake (though
      Kumo is way better at it). Solid Edge is my friend ;) If I could find a
      suitable laser in my price range (yeah, that'll happen right after I buy a
      14th century sword at a garage sale for $20) I'll be cutting all kinds of
      neat stuff like steel kozane and kikko and stuff :) Might be able to get
      away with cutting 8 oz. leather with a small mill in a Dremel or die
      grinder, though.

      But that's not period ;)
      --
      Kagemasa