[SCA-JML] Re: Kimono Creation

  • Barbara Nostrand
    Message 1 of 37 , Nov 8, 1999

      >> The closest thing in folklore is occupied by the fox.
      >
      >Didn't they prefer human female form? I know I do (ba-da-bum!).

      Actually, there is no marked preference. There are stories of
      female foxes from Konjaku Monogatari as I recall. But, we
      certainly have male foxes in kyogen from the Muromachi period.

      >> 4) If you are interested in being a power behind the throne, try
      >> being Sen no Rikyu. (Sorry, the Society will not believe that
      >> you are Sen no Rikyu, but you can be a similar super artsy type.)
      >
      >Is he the guy that developed the chanoyu?

      YES! More specifically, he is the guy that most extant tea schools
      claim descent from. Matcha was introduced into Japan several centuries
      earlier. Sen no Rikyu is responsible for the wabi/sabi aesthetic of
      the tea cult.

      Concerning kouta.

      The language and the poetic form. Regradless, there are books full
      of these things.

      Tarou pretty much means #1 son just like in Charlie Chan movies.

      Toro is a root.

      | techie.com |
    • akimoya
      Message 37 of 37 , Nov 10, 1999
        On Wed, 10 Nov 1999, Anthony J. Bryant wrote:

        > > OK, so "Do itashimashite" is actually "Do(h)o itashimshite", and should be
        > > spelled "Dou itashimashite"?
        >
        > Not quite. TODAY it is "dou". A century ago, it was spelled "dofu" but
        > pronounced "dou." MANY MANY MANY centuries ago, it WAS pronounced "dofu," or
        > so they think.

        You're right, my bad - "do(h)o" would be "doo", and "do(f)u" would be
        "dou".

        See, I learned something already!

        Akimoya
        (whou sezs you can't teech an Aulde Phart noo trix?)