Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Bibliography, clothing, and persona

  • Ron Martino
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 7, 2000
      > If you are thinking of making modern style brocade obi to signify
      > your Master or Knight by colour or your squirehood by the same, I
      > would discourage you from doing so. The Japanese system of ranks as
      > signified by belt colour is a modern thing and I would not like to
      > see it encouraged among Japanese personae in our Society. Matter of
      > fact, recently someone asked Hiraizumi-dono to justify the wearing of
      > white brocade sashes a la Shogun and he said that he could not.
      > There are better alternatives...

      > Your servant,
      > Aoi

      What I did was simply make the belt portion of my hakama white. I don't
      know if there is precedence for making the belt of the hakama a
      different color from the rest, but it seems to work well enough.

      Yumitori

      --
      yumitori(AT)montana(DOT)com - Ask me how to get paid for surfing the
      Internet.
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 8, 2000
        yumitori@... writes:

        << What I did was simply make the belt portion of my hakama white. I don't
        know if there is precedence for making the belt of the hakama a
        different color from the rest, but it seems to work well enough.

        Yumitori >>
        My Daimyo, Eno Ogami, usually wears a white, thin Obi as a SCA knight belt,
        over his hakama.

        Fumio
      • Kass McGann
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 8, 2000
          --- In sca-jml@egroups.com, markejag@a... wrote:
          > In a message dated 6/7/00 1:34:07 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
          > yumitori@m... writes:
          >
          > << What I did was simply make the belt portion of my hakama white.
          I don't
          > know if there is precedence for making the belt of the hakama a
          > different color from the rest, but it seems to work well enough.
          >
          > Yumitori >>
          > My Daimyo, Eno Ogami, usually wears a white, thin Obi as a SCA
          knight belt,
          > over his hakama.
          >
          > Fumio

          Yumitori-dono, Fumio-dono,

          I think these are both excellent suggestions for how to make the SCA
          conventions "work" with our culture without totally bastardizing
          either.

          Thank you for your insightful ideas!
          Aoi
        • Barbara Nostrand
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 16, 2000
            Noble Cosins!

            This is a test. Please forgive this intrusion.

            | techie.com |