Re: Tabi pattern

  • Kass McGann
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 7, 2000
      --- In sca-jml@egroups.com, karl.j.jacobs@j... wrote:

      > The only pattern for tabi that I have found is in the previously-
      mentioned
      > book "Make Your Own Japanese Clothes." As several gentles have
      poitned
      > out, the patterns are post-period, but they can likely also tell
      you how
      > the pattern can be modified to be more accurate to the period.
      >
      > Kou no Toshikage

      Kou-dono and Jason and Christina,

      The tabi pattern from "Make Your Own Japanese Clothes" is pretty
      close to period if I remember correctly. I haven't looked at in some
      time, but I promise I will look at it tonite just to be sure.

      Aoi
    • Barbara Nostrand
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 7, 2000
        Noble Cousins!

        An important modification to make to tabi is that period tabi would have
        string ties rather than those fancy metal tab thingies. However, you
        should probably understand that tabi are definitely refined and are not
        in evidence on the battle field as a general matter. Battle paintings
        clearly show that the vast majority of those engaged in combat did not
        wear tabi. Oh well. I'm not either of the clothing experts on this mailing
        list. In fact, I'm barely clothed at all at events. People did manage
        to get me to stop wearing some of the stuff that I made for my second
        event, but I still tend to show up in one of the garments from that
        era on occasion.

        | techie.com |