Re: [SCA-JML] Re: saya coverings...

  • Bubba
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 5, 2003
      Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou Yukiie wrote:
      > Kagemasa-dono,
      > I thank you for your info, but do care if it is period...

      I was in a bit of a hurry when I was typing that. 3 year old screaming due
      to punishment, 2 week old screaming due to hunger, and wife screaming due to
      apparent mental imbalance ;)

      What I was trying to say is that, other than the usual issues with stitching
      fur (which I've never been good at), it would be done the same way whether
      using cloth or fur. I figured the tip would be the hardest part, but it was
      very simple. Just stitch a curve around the end that's roughly the same as
      the cross section of the saya. My way of wrapping the sageo does a very good
      job of holding the cover on and makes a nice place to hold the saya while
      carrying the katana.

      As for cloth being period or not, I'm still not convinced that it isn't.
      Somewhere in the mess of backups from a recent computer change are some
      scans of period paintings that show saya with what looks like block printed
      patterns. Definately not fur, but I can't tell if it's lacquer work on the
      saya itself or something covering the saya.

      One of these days when I have more time and less projects I'm going to cover
      the end of the saya with same for about a foot, lacquer it black, and sand
      it down a bit. I might wait until I order my new blades and do it then. That
      set isn't going to be particularly subtle like my current set ;)
      --
      Kagemasa
      mysticz28@...
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 5, 2003
        Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou Yukiie wrote:
        > Kagemasa-dono,
        > That came out sounding rude, and I did not mean it that
        > way...Gomen...

        Daijobu de gozaru.

        Just make sure to upload pics when you get done :)
        --
        Kagemasa
        mysticz28@...
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 5, 2003
          Elaine Koogler wrote:
          > There is a lovely photo in the National Geo article of a warrior who
          > used a deer pelt on his armor. It was the light brown, spotted skin
          > of the Japanese deer. I have to think that if they used it to
          > decorate their armor, they might have used it on a sword case as
          > well, especially if you know they used other types of fur.

          DOH! I forgot to pick it up while I was out today. I hope I can manage to
          find a copy before they're gone. Most of the bookstores around here would
          rather give more space to 50,000 magazines about boy bands and cars.

          Spotted deer fur sounds good, actually. I might have to see if I can hunt
          down a hide and give it a shot.
          --
          Kagemasa
          mysticz28@...
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 7, 2003
            Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou Yukiie wrote:

            > Konnichi wa, tomodachi,
            > I would like to cover the saya of my tachi with fur, but I was
            > wondering what types of fur were cool.
            > I have seen tiger, and bear, but was deer or other fur ever
            > used?...

            I've seen illustrations of deer-hide used as well, yes -- the same spotted type
            as used in the mukabaki.