Re: [SCA-JML] Re: saya coverings...

  • Elaine Koogler
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 5, 2003
      There is a lovely photo in the National Geo article of a warrior who used a deer pelt on his armor. It was the light brown, spotted skin of the Japanese deer. I have to think that if they used it to decorate their armor, they might have used it on a sword case as well, especially if you know they used other types of fur.

      Kiri

      Everybody can be great ... because anybody can serve.
      You don't have to have a college degree to serve.
      You don't have to make your subject and verb agree to serve.
      You only need a heart full of grace. A soul generated by love.

      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 5, 2003
        Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou Yukiie wrote:
        > Kagemasa-dono,
        > I thank you for your info, but do care if it is period...

        I was in a bit of a hurry when I was typing that. 3 year old screaming due
        to punishment, 2 week old screaming due to hunger, and wife screaming due to
        apparent mental imbalance ;)

        What I was trying to say is that, other than the usual issues with stitching
        fur (which I've never been good at), it would be done the same way whether
        using cloth or fur. I figured the tip would be the hardest part, but it was
        very simple. Just stitch a curve around the end that's roughly the same as
        the cross section of the saya. My way of wrapping the sageo does a very good
        job of holding the cover on and makes a nice place to hold the saya while
        carrying the katana.

        As for cloth being period or not, I'm still not convinced that it isn't.
        Somewhere in the mess of backups from a recent computer change are some
        scans of period paintings that show saya with what looks like block printed
        patterns. Definately not fur, but I can't tell if it's lacquer work on the
        saya itself or something covering the saya.

        One of these days when I have more time and less projects I'm going to cover
        the end of the saya with same for about a foot, lacquer it black, and sand
        it down a bit. I might wait until I order my new blades and do it then. That
        set isn't going to be particularly subtle like my current set ;)
        --
        Kagemasa
        mysticz28@...
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 5, 2003
          Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou Yukiie wrote:
          > Kagemasa-dono,
          > That came out sounding rude, and I did not mean it that
          > way...Gomen...

          Daijobu de gozaru.

          Just make sure to upload pics when you get done :)
          --
          Kagemasa
          mysticz28@...
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 5, 2003
            Elaine Koogler wrote:
            > There is a lovely photo in the National Geo article of a warrior who
            > used a deer pelt on his armor. It was the light brown, spotted skin
            > of the Japanese deer. I have to think that if they used it to
            > decorate their armor, they might have used it on a sword case as
            > well, especially if you know they used other types of fur.

            DOH! I forgot to pick it up while I was out today. I hope I can manage to
            find a copy before they're gone. Most of the bookstores around here would
            rather give more space to 50,000 magazines about boy bands and cars.

            Spotted deer fur sounds good, actually. I might have to see if I can hunt
            down a hide and give it a shot.
            --
            Kagemasa
            mysticz28@...
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 7, 2003
              Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou Yukiie wrote:

              > Konnichi wa, tomodachi,
              > I would like to cover the saya of my tachi with fur, but I was
              > wondering what types of fur were cool.
              > I have seen tiger, and bear, but was deer or other fur ever
              > used?...

              I've seen illustrations of deer-hide used as well, yes -- the same spotted type
              as used in the mukabaki.