Re: Question...

  • Kass McGann
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 6, 2000
      Tokigata-bozu! It has been a long time.

      First, please allow me to congratulate you on your induction into the
      Queen's Order of Courtesy! I do not mean to embarass you, of course,
      but I have heard wonderful things about you from our late Queen
      Marieke II and I have wanted to congratulate you.

      Now, to the patterns. Harper House carries a wonderful number of
      patterns at excellent prices. I recommend them highly! They carry
      just about everything for every time period (and I do a whole lotta
      time periods...) and at lower prices than Alter Years and Amazon Dry
      Goods.

      However, for our Japanese purposes, the patterns are modern. The
      Folkwear ones are nice. But the other ones (Period Patterns or
      whatever they're calling themselves these days) are chintzy, sloppy,
      and come out looking like Halloween costumes, not garb. If you want
      to be a "ninja" for a party, go for it. But for our purposes, they
      really don't fly. I wouldn't waste the money. Sorry folks...

      I must tell you all that this is starting to blossom into quite a
      scheme in my head...

      I know this hasn't helped, but hopefully it has prevented you from
      wasting your time and effort. I promise that Hiraizumi-dono and I
      will give you plenty of pattern in our classes at Pennsic and the
      upcoming CA. Promise! On my giri!

      Aoi
    • Marc Choronzey
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 29 7:54 PM
        Konbanwa all,

        Here's a question to all of you, it may sound stupid but here goes:

        What is a daito?

        I know what a katana, tashi and daigatana are but what the ~!@# is a daito?

        domo for answering,

        Sayonara,

        -Shimaha.

        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 30 9:29 AM
          In a message dated 9/29/2001 10:55:07 PM Eastern Daylight Time, killrock@... writes:

          What is a daito?

          I believe this is simply the term used to describe a Long katana. Like shoto is for the wak or short wpn.

          Regards,
          Theodric
        • Marc Choronzey
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 30 10:24 AM
            HAAAAA!

            Now that makes sense!

            DOMO!

            -Shimaha.

            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 2, 2001
              Marc Choronzey wrote:

              > Konbanwa all,
              >
              > Here's a question to all of you, it may sound stupid but here goes:
              >
              > What is a daito?

              It's another word for "katana" -- it means "big blade" in on'yomi
              (Sino-Japanese reading) and the generic blade in the kunyomi (Japanese
              reading) is the katana. "To" therefore is a non-specific bladed weapon (knife
              or sword of some type, typically) and has additional kanji tacked on to
              identify the type. Like shoto ("small blade") is the wakizashi.

              > I know what a katana, tashi and daigatana are but what the ~!@# is a daito?

              Daigatana? There is no such beast: that's a misreading of the kanji for
              "Dai-To" --- you would either read this as "oo-gatana" or "dai-to" -- there is
              no such beast as "dai-gatana."

              Effingham
            • Marc Choronzey
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 3, 2001