Re: [SCA-JML] Sake is almost done

  • Solveig
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 3, 2003

      Greetings from Solveig! A lot of period sake was white.

    • Bubba
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 4, 2003
        Solveig wrote:
        > Noble Cousin!
        >
        > Greetings from Solveig! A lot of period sake was white.

        That part I knew, but did it separate in the bottle? Mine is clear yellow
        stuff at the top with white lees at the bottom.
        --
        Kagemasa
        mysticz28@...
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 4, 2003
          mgiard2002 wrote:
          > Me and my master/mentor brewer have done a 66 liters of Sake last
          > winter...
          > You will have to rack your sake a couple of time before to put it in
          > bottles. Let it stand a couple of hours, when the white stuff is at
          > the bottom, siphon the clear liquid in another container. Repeat till
          > you dont have any white stuff in it.
          > That's the biggest problem with sake, you have so much losts of
          > liquid (in the rice, when raking, etc) Our 66 liters at the beginning
          > have done about 45 bottles(750ml) only...

          Right now I have 2 gallons (I always test new recipes with a small batch),
          half of which is lees. If I rack it now I'll loose too much good sake.
          Filtering is definately the way to go it seems. I'll have to hunt down some
          filter paper and cheesecloth tomorrow. I think I'll rack the clear stuff off
          the top and run the rest through filters until I get the majority of the
          flour out. I use Superkleer to clear everything I make and it, along with
          refrigeration, will clear nearly anything, including cider after dumping in
          many pounds of sugar.

          > Did you use Koji in your recipe?

          Yup. Came up with a method of growing kome-koji (I think that's it, anyway)
          that works extremely well with nearly zero work. Cook rice as normal,
          sprinkle koji, put in large bowl that fits in styrofoam cooler, pour about
          4" of hot water into the cooler, put the bowl in the cooler, put on the lid.
          Every 12 hours or so stir the rice to break up clumps. In 2 days you'll have
          stinky, hairy yeast fuel ;)

          The next batch will be 6.5 gallons, which should give me about 5 gallons of
          good sake and enough sake rice (can't remember what it's called) to pickle a
          small cow ;) I also want to try using the sake rice to provide the yeast for
          another batch. If that works I'll never have to buy yeast again, just keep a
          cup of goo from the previous batch and dump it into the new batch. In theory
          it should work fine and I suspect that it's a period technique.

          Now I just have to come up with some suitable bottles. Anyone know where to
          get opaque wine bottles?
          --
          Kagemasa
          mysticz28@...
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 4, 2003
            > half of which is lees. If I rack it now I'll loose too much good
            >sake. Filtering is definately the way to go it seems. I'll have to
            >hunt down some filter paper and cheesecloth tomorrow. I think I'll
            >rack the clear stuff off the top and run the rest through filters
            >until I get the majority of the flour out.

            Yes definately go with filtering then...

            >I use Superkleer to clear everything I make and it, > Now I just
            >have to come up with some suitable bottles. Anyone know where to
            > get opaque wine bottles?

            I scavage them from a local restaurant (where my step mother works).
            When I need bottles, they're keeping me all empty bottles they have
            for a week or so, and then I choose what I want (clear, black, green,
            light green, imported beers, etc), then the rest is going to
            recycling. Also, I used to scavage then from recycling bins in the
            neighborhood, but the selection is limited...
          • mgiard2002
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 4, 2003
              > Noble Cousin!
              >
              > Greetings from Solveig! A lot of period sake was white.

              Greetings Lady Solveig,

              I know that. That was the brewer speaking. In contest, and of
              general beliefs, a clear liquid is reputadely better than an opaque
              liquid. That is not always true in terms of taste... But if you have
              a cristal clear sake, it looks that you work harder to make it clear
              than a "natural state" white one. For me it's more a question of
              achievement that authenticity. It also depend if your pretend to
              recreate a noble drink or a feudal peasant shooter... ;-) One of my
              project is to make Sochu (japanese potato breuvage), it reputadely
              taste not so good and was drink by the peasants just to get drunk. I
              won't make it clearer than the natural state...

              Fukushima Masanari Hanzo
            • Spider
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 4, 2003
                Amusing how Hatsuruma’s draft sake comes in a frosted container to make it
                look opaque.

                Kuragari no Kumomaku
                ?? ? ???

                > Greetings from Solveig! A lot of period sake was white.

                Greetings Lady Solveig,

                I know that. That was the brewer speaking. In contest, and of
                general beliefs, a clear liquid is reputadely better than an opaque
                liquid. That is not always true in terms of taste... But if you have
                a cristal clear sake, it looks that you work harder to make it clear
                than a "natural state" white one. For me it's more a question of
                achievement that authenticity. It also depend if your pretend to
                recreate a noble drink or a feudal peasant shooter... ;-) One of my
                project is to make Sochu (japanese potato breuvage), it reputadely
                taste not so good and was drink by the peasants just to get drunk. I
                won't make it clearer than the natural state...

                Fukushima Masanari Hanzo

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                click here
                <http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12cp8tu7n/M=267637.4116730.5333196.1261774/D=egroup
                web/S=1705767503:HM/EXP=1070647474/A=1853619/R=0/*http://www.netflix.com/Def
                ault?mqso=60178356&partid=4116730>

                <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

              • Solveig
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 4, 2003

                  Greetings from Solveig! Shouchuu is probably illegal for you to make. It
                  is a distilled alcoholic beverage made from any number of starch/sugar
                  sources. It can be made from local Japanese tubers or many other substances.

                • mgiard2002
                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 5, 2003
                    That's my biggest problem about making shochu... ;-)
                    That's a long term idealistic project anyway...

                    Fukushima Masanari Hanzo

                    > Noble Cousin!
                    >
                    > Greetings from Solveig! Shouchuu is probably illegal for you to
                    make. It
                    > is a distilled alcoholic beverage made from any number of
                    starch/sugar
                    > sources. It can be made from local Japanese tubers or many other
                    substances.
                    > --
                    >
                    > Your Humble Servant
                    > Solveig Throndardottir
                    > Amateur Scholar
                    >
                    > +-------------------------------------------------------------------
                    ---+
                    > | Barbara Nostrand, Ph.D. | Solveig Throndardottir, CoM,
                    CoS |
                    > | deMoivre Institute | Carolingia Statis Mentis
                    Est |
                    > | mailto:nostrand@a... | mailto:bnostran@l... |
                    ---+
                    > | Note. Many popular "free" email services are automatically routed
                    to |
                    > | the trash by my email
                    filters. |
                    ---+