Sake is almost done

  • Bubba
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 2, 2003
      The sake is done fermenting and I've managed, with some difficulty, to
      strain out the large rice grains that were left. Now I have to decide
      whether to filter it or leave it white. Having never come across white sake
      in person I'm not sure if it's normal for the flour to settle out while it
      sits in the bottle, meaning the bottle would have to be shaken a bit before
      pouring. If that's how it works I'll be pasteurizing Thursday and bottling
      Friday (bottles permitting). Then I'll have to find some suitable fish to
      pickle with the remaining rice bits.

      If I decide to filter it life will get more interesting. I'm going to have
      to build a filter setup that will force the sake through the filter elements
      (probably stacks of coffee filters).
      --
      Kagemasa
      mysticz28@...
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 3, 2003
        Me and my master/mentor brewer have done a 66 liters of Sake last
        winter...
        You will have to rack your sake a couple of time before to put it in
        bottles. Let it stand a couple of hours, when the white stuff is at
        the bottom, siphon the clear liquid in another container. Repeat till
        you dont have any white stuff in it.
        That's the biggest problem with sake, you have so much losts of
        liquid (in the rice, when raking, etc) Our 66 liters at the beginning
        have done about 45 bottles(750ml) only...
        Did you use Koji in your recipe?

        Fukushima Masanari Hanzo

        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Bubba" <mysticz28@s...> wrote:
        > The sake is done fermenting and I've managed, with some difficulty,
        > strain out the large rice grains that were left. Now I have to
        decide
        > whether to filter it or leave it white. Having never come across
        white sake
        > in person I'm not sure if it's normal for the flour to settle out
        while it
        > sits in the bottle, meaning the bottle would have to be shaken a
        bit before
        > pouring. If that's how it works I'll be pasteurizing Thursday and
        bottling
        > Friday (bottles permitting). Then I'll have to find some suitable
        fish to
        > pickle with the remaining rice bits.
        >
        > If I decide to filter it life will get more interesting. I'm going
        to have
        > to build a filter setup that will force the sake through the filter
        elements
        > (probably stacks of coffee filters).
        > --
        > Kagemasa
        > mysticz28@s...
        > He who seeks will find, and he who knocks will be let in.
      • Solveig
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 3, 2003

          Greetings from Solveig! A lot of period sake was white.

        • Bubba
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 4, 2003
            Solveig wrote:
            > Noble Cousin!
            >
            > Greetings from Solveig! A lot of period sake was white.

            That part I knew, but did it separate in the bottle? Mine is clear yellow
            stuff at the top with white lees at the bottom.
            --
            Kagemasa
            mysticz28@...
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 4, 2003
              mgiard2002 wrote:
              > Me and my master/mentor brewer have done a 66 liters of Sake last
              > winter...
              > You will have to rack your sake a couple of time before to put it in
              > bottles. Let it stand a couple of hours, when the white stuff is at
              > the bottom, siphon the clear liquid in another container. Repeat till
              > you dont have any white stuff in it.
              > That's the biggest problem with sake, you have so much losts of
              > liquid (in the rice, when raking, etc) Our 66 liters at the beginning
              > have done about 45 bottles(750ml) only...

              Right now I have 2 gallons (I always test new recipes with a small batch),
              half of which is lees. If I rack it now I'll loose too much good sake.
              Filtering is definately the way to go it seems. I'll have to hunt down some
              filter paper and cheesecloth tomorrow. I think I'll rack the clear stuff off
              the top and run the rest through filters until I get the majority of the
              flour out. I use Superkleer to clear everything I make and it, along with
              refrigeration, will clear nearly anything, including cider after dumping in
              many pounds of sugar.

              > Did you use Koji in your recipe?

              Yup. Came up with a method of growing kome-koji (I think that's it, anyway)
              that works extremely well with nearly zero work. Cook rice as normal,
              sprinkle koji, put in large bowl that fits in styrofoam cooler, pour about
              4" of hot water into the cooler, put the bowl in the cooler, put on the lid.
              Every 12 hours or so stir the rice to break up clumps. In 2 days you'll have
              stinky, hairy yeast fuel ;)

              The next batch will be 6.5 gallons, which should give me about 5 gallons of
              good sake and enough sake rice (can't remember what it's called) to pickle a
              small cow ;) I also want to try using the sake rice to provide the yeast for
              another batch. If that works I'll never have to buy yeast again, just keep a
              cup of goo from the previous batch and dump it into the new batch. In theory
              it should work fine and I suspect that it's a period technique.

              Now I just have to come up with some suitable bottles. Anyone know where to
              get opaque wine bottles?
              --
              Kagemasa
              mysticz28@...
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 4, 2003
                > half of which is lees. If I rack it now I'll loose too much good
                >sake. Filtering is definately the way to go it seems. I'll have to
                >hunt down some filter paper and cheesecloth tomorrow. I think I'll
                >rack the clear stuff off the top and run the rest through filters
                >until I get the majority of the flour out.

                Yes definately go with filtering then...

                >I use Superkleer to clear everything I make and it, > Now I just
                >have to come up with some suitable bottles. Anyone know where to
                > get opaque wine bottles?

                I scavage them from a local restaurant (where my step mother works).
                When I need bottles, they're keeping me all empty bottles they have
                for a week or so, and then I choose what I want (clear, black, green,
                light green, imported beers, etc), then the rest is going to
                recycling. Also, I used to scavage then from recycling bins in the
                neighborhood, but the selection is limited...
              • mgiard2002
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 4, 2003
                  > Noble Cousin!
                  >
                  > Greetings from Solveig! A lot of period sake was white.

                  Greetings Lady Solveig,

                  I know that. That was the brewer speaking. In contest, and of
                  general beliefs, a clear liquid is reputadely better than an opaque
                  liquid. That is not always true in terms of taste... But if you have
                  a cristal clear sake, it looks that you work harder to make it clear
                  than a "natural state" white one. For me it's more a question of
                  achievement that authenticity. It also depend if your pretend to
                  recreate a noble drink or a feudal peasant shooter... ;-) One of my
                  project is to make Sochu (japanese potato breuvage), it reputadely
                  taste not so good and was drink by the peasants just to get drunk. I
                  won't make it clearer than the natural state...

                  Fukushima Masanari Hanzo
                • Spider
                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 4, 2003
                    Amusing how Hatsuruma’s draft sake comes in a frosted container to make it
                    look opaque.

                    Kuragari no Kumomaku
                    ?? ? ???

                    > Greetings from Solveig! A lot of period sake was white.

                    Greetings Lady Solveig,

                    I know that. That was the brewer speaking. In contest, and of
                    general beliefs, a clear liquid is reputadely better than an opaque
                    liquid. That is not always true in terms of taste... But if you have
                    a cristal clear sake, it looks that you work harder to make it clear
                    than a "natural state" white one. For me it's more a question of
                    achievement that authenticity. It also depend if your pretend to
                    recreate a noble drink or a feudal peasant shooter... ;-) One of my
                    project is to make Sochu (japanese potato breuvage), it reputadely
                    taste not so good and was drink by the peasants just to get drunk. I
                    won't make it clearer than the natural state...

                    Fukushima Masanari Hanzo

                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                    click here
                    <http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12cp8tu7n/M=267637.4116730.5333196.1261774/D=egroup
                    web/S=1705767503:HM/EXP=1070647474/A=1853619/R=0/*http://www.netflix.com/Def
                    ault?mqso=60178356&partid=4116730>

                    <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                  • Solveig
                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 4, 2003

                      Greetings from Solveig! Shouchuu is probably illegal for you to make. It
                      is a distilled alcoholic beverage made from any number of starch/sugar
                      sources. It can be made from local Japanese tubers or many other substances.

                    • mgiard2002
                      Message 10 of 10 , Dec 5, 2003
                        That's my biggest problem about making shochu... ;-)
                        That's a long term idealistic project anyway...

                        Fukushima Masanari Hanzo

                        > Noble Cousin!
                        >
                        > Greetings from Solveig! Shouchuu is probably illegal for you to
                        make. It
                        > is a distilled alcoholic beverage made from any number of
                        starch/sugar
                        > sources. It can be made from local Japanese tubers or many other
                        substances.
                        > --
                        >
                        > Your Humble Servant
                        > Solveig Throndardottir
                        > Amateur Scholar
                        >
                        > +-------------------------------------------------------------------
                        ---+
                        > | Barbara Nostrand, Ph.D. | Solveig Throndardottir, CoM,
                        CoS |
                        > | deMoivre Institute | Carolingia Statis Mentis
                        Est |
                        > | mailto:nostrand@a... | mailto:bnostran@l... |
                        ---+
                        > | Note. Many popular "free" email services are automatically routed
                        to |
                        > | the trash by my email
                        filters. |
                        ---+