Question...

  • George Charette
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 6, 2000
      I've got a question for all of you. Somebody asked about patterns for
      japanese clothes. I read a bit fast all that had been said on this topic
      for teh last weeks and I need infos on this.

      I found a catalog of Harper House (they sell patterns) with some japanese
      patterns for sale. Does anybody have an idea of what how they are ? Messy
      ? Awful ? Unaccurate, even for a beginner ?

      Your advise will be of great help. Domo arigato !

      Tajima bo
    • Kass McGann
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 6, 2000
        Tokigata-bozu! It has been a long time.

        First, please allow me to congratulate you on your induction into the
        Queen's Order of Courtesy! I do not mean to embarass you, of course,
        but I have heard wonderful things about you from our late Queen
        Marieke II and I have wanted to congratulate you.

        Now, to the patterns. Harper House carries a wonderful number of
        patterns at excellent prices. I recommend them highly! They carry
        just about everything for every time period (and I do a whole lotta
        time periods...) and at lower prices than Alter Years and Amazon Dry
        Goods.

        However, for our Japanese purposes, the patterns are modern. The
        Folkwear ones are nice. But the other ones (Period Patterns or
        whatever they're calling themselves these days) are chintzy, sloppy,
        and come out looking like Halloween costumes, not garb. If you want
        to be a "ninja" for a party, go for it. But for our purposes, they
        really don't fly. I wouldn't waste the money. Sorry folks...

        I must tell you all that this is starting to blossom into quite a
        scheme in my head...

        I know this hasn't helped, but hopefully it has prevented you from
        wasting your time and effort. I promise that Hiraizumi-dono and I
        will give you plenty of pattern in our classes at Pennsic and the
        upcoming CA. Promise! On my giri!

        Aoi
      • Marc Choronzey
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 29, 2001
          Konbanwa all,

          Here's a question to all of you, it may sound stupid but here goes:

          What is a daito?

          I know what a katana, tashi and daigatana are but what the ~!@# is a daito?

          domo for answering,

          Sayonara,

          -Shimaha.

          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 30, 2001
            In a message dated 9/29/2001 10:55:07 PM Eastern Daylight Time, killrock@... writes:

            What is a daito?

            I believe this is simply the term used to describe a Long katana. Like shoto is for the wak or short wpn.

            Regards,
            Theodric
          • Marc Choronzey
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 30, 2001
              HAAAAA!

              Now that makes sense!

              DOMO!

              -Shimaha.

              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 2, 2001
                Marc Choronzey wrote:

                > Konbanwa all,
                >
                > Here's a question to all of you, it may sound stupid but here goes:
                >
                > What is a daito?

                It's another word for "katana" -- it means "big blade" in on'yomi
                (Sino-Japanese reading) and the generic blade in the kunyomi (Japanese
                reading) is the katana. "To" therefore is a non-specific bladed weapon (knife
                or sword of some type, typically) and has additional kanji tacked on to
                identify the type. Like shoto ("small blade") is the wakizashi.

                > I know what a katana, tashi and daigatana are but what the ~!@# is a daito?

                Daigatana? There is no such beast: that's a misreading of the kanji for
                "Dai-To" --- you would either read this as "oo-gatana" or "dai-to" -- there is
                no such beast as "dai-gatana."

                Effingham
              • Marc Choronzey
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 3, 2001