Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Last Samurai Movie

  • Elaine Koogler
    Message 1 of 25 , Dec 2, 2003
      I haven't seen either "Last Samurai" or "Master and Commander" yet...I hope to see at least one of them this weekend.

      However, we did receive the deluxe set of "The Two Towers". There was a lot of additional material in the movie that was not in the theatrical release...most of which served to explain some of the events. It really made for a much better movie.

      Kiri

      Everybody can be great ... because anybody can serve.
      You don't have to have a college degree to serve.
      You don't have to make your subject and verb agree to serve.
      You only need a heart full of grace. A soul generated by love.

      Message 2 of 25 , Dec 2, 2003

        Greetings from Solveig! I ment the trailer for Master and Commander.

        Message 3 of 25 , Dec 3, 2003
          Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou Yukiie wrote:
          > Sir Koredono,
          > Yumi did indeed make 100 bows for the production, but They
          > are, in his words, "Movie-bows" they are shaped like real yumi,
          > and are bamboo, but are weak, not tillered at all, and are spray-
          > painted instead of properly lacquered...Not fit for shooting, but
          > would look good for court functions...
          >
          > An interesting thing to note is that when reading the hollywood
          > script book...they take credit by saying..."Our prop department
          > made 200 bows exactly like the real ones were made..."
          >
          > They did not give Yumi any credit at all for it - and he would have
          > had to pay $6000.00 to get a single line movie credit as an
          > armorer...It is a wierd industry...

          LOL! I can relate. About a year and a half ago I got an e-mail asking if I could
          provide their art director with some info on bakumatsu Japanese military camp
          /field equipment. Sent a pile of URLs and some reference sources and materials,
          and never heard back. Sigh.

          Effingham
        • Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou Yukiie
          Message 4 of 25 , Dec 3, 2003
            Hiraizumi-sensei,
            I did two full suits of armor and two kabuto for the movie folk a
            few years ago. I got paid well enough, but found that the movie
            industry likes to take credit for more than they do...and are dis-
            inclined to give even a bone or two to those who they consider
            outside their world...even if they did the actual work...
            Jaap (Yumi) knew what he was doing, is does not feel slighted
            in any way...he has bigger projects in the works than a hollywood
            samurai movie with white guys in it...
            Baka Gaijin...
            He just returned from China, where he did the opening
            ceremonies for the International Asian Archery Festival...I can get
            you the URLs if you like... (now he can start on my shigeto-
            yumi...hehehe...)

            Date Saburou Yukiie
            Yama Kaminari Ryu
            Shi wa hei to de aru - all are equal in the grave...
            http://www.kabutographics.com
            kabuto@...
          • Elaine Koogler
            Message 5 of 25 , Dec 3, 2003
              It's not just confined to the movies. A couple of years back, Emeril did a show on Medieval cooking. To begin with, some of what he did was Victorian rather than Medieval. But worst of all, the stuff that he did that was period came from Master Cariadoc's web site. I believe that Cariadoc has the information copyrighted, but that didn't stop Emeril. And...he didn't even have the decency to credit David Friedman (Master Cariadoc)! I believe David contacted the producers of the show about this, but don't know what the outcome was.

              Kiri

              Everybody can be great ... because anybody can serve.
              You don't have to have a college degree to serve.
              You don't have to make your subject and verb agree to serve.
              You only need a heart full of grace. A soul generated by love.

              > - Martin Luther King, Jr.

              I did two full suits of armor and two kabuto for the movie folk a
              few years ago. I got paid well enough, but found that the movie
              industry likes to take credit for more than they do...and are dis-
              inclined to give even a bone or two to those who they consider
              outside their world...even if they did the actual work...
              Jaap (Yumi) knew what he was doing, is does not feel slighted
              in any way...he has bigger projects in the works than a hollywood
              samurai movie with white guys in it...
              Baka Gaijin...
              He just returned from China, where he did the opening
              ceremonies for the International Asian Archery Festival...I can get
              you the URLs if you like... (now he can start on my shigeto-
              yumi...hehehe...)

              Date Saburou Yukiie
              Yama Kaminari Ryu
              Shi wa hei to de aru - all are equal in the grave...
              http://www.kabutographics.com
              kabuto@...

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            • Solveig
              Message 6 of 25 , Dec 3, 2003

                >It's not just confined to the movies. A couple of years back,
                >Emeril did a show on Medieval cooking. To begin with, some of what
                >he did was Victorian rather than Medieval. But worst of all, the
                >stuff that he did that was period came from Master Cariadoc's web
                >site. I believe that Cariadoc has the information copyrighted, but
                >that didn't stop Emeril. And...he didn't even have the decency to
                >credit David Friedman (Master Cariadoc)! I believe David contacted
                >the producers of the show about this, but don't know what the
                >outcome was.

                By and large, recipes can not be copyrighted. They have special treatment
                under U.S. copyright law. Further, information can not be copyrighted. What
                is copyrighted is expression in tangible form. However, failure to attest
                sources is considered a sin against scholarship.

                What can be copyrighted? Potentially the exact wording of the procedure for
                the preparing the recipe, but not the list of ingredients. You can copyright
                analysis, commentary, and discussions of origin.

                (Ref) The Recpie Writer's Handbook and Kirsh's Handbook of Publishing Law.

              • Elaine Koogler
                Message 7 of 25 , Dec 3, 2003
                  I understand...but the point was that Emeril used work done by another without bothering to credit him for the usage. It is actually more a matter of ethics, in all probability, than law...though I suspect that, David Friedman being experienced in law, if there was anything that could be done, he did it!

                  Message 8 of 25 , Dec 3, 2003
                    Konnichi wa,
                    As a functional photographer, fine and graphic artist, I am big on
                    copyright...
                    ( http://www.copyright.gov ) and I enjoy doing artwork that people can
                    see. What else is the point, if people don't see it...but I realy do
                    believe ethically that people should credit their sources.
                    For the production crew to say "their" prop department did the
                    work...that is problematical - By contract, Jaap technically did work
                    for them...but the facts were distorted when they reported their
                    numbers...and it made it seem that it was an in-house crew that did
                    the work, rather than hired-out professional labour.
                    Plus, movie props are not made just like the real things - resin
                    quivers are not like real ones...
                    Is Jaap's work copyrightable? Why, to a degree, yes...
                    He makes production yumi for the world. A bow, by and large, is
                    already common domain, but his technique is protected, and the actual
                    work he did should be credited to him. Jaap obviously did not invent
                    the yumi...but he learned from a very good historical liniage, and his
                    particular personal additions to the process are his alone...no one
                    can take credit for them.
                    But he did contract the bows he made to be used for the movie crew as
                    they say fit.

                    Will I still go see the movie...of course. Yumi is a big boy...I just
                    wish that the movie folk chose to give him some sort of credit. All I
                    can do as a friend and an ethical artist is to let people know who did
                    the real work. Jaap would do the same for me. We have known each other
                    long enough to feel comfortable in that...
                    Enough ranting...

                    Date Saburou Yukiie

                    Message 9 of 25 , Dec 3, 2003

                      >I understand...but the point was that Emeril used work done by
                      >another without bothering to credit him for the usage. It is
                      >actually more a matter of ethics, in all probability, than
                      >law...though I suspect that, David Friedman being experienced in
                      >law, if there was anything that could be done, he did it!

                      I wrote that it is "a sin against scholarship". That is, they did a sholarly
                      NO-NO. They should be scolded and possibly discredited. However, they probably
                      did not violate copyright.

                      As for Yaap. He created what is known as a "work made for hire" and the
                      copyright belongs to the movie studio that hired him. Do I think that the
                      movie studio acted like scoundrels. Absolutely. After sitting through minuttes
                      of credits for a movie which include the names of each of the tutors for
                      child actors, the name of the catering service, the name of the legal services,
                      the names of historical consultants and dialect coaches, I do think that they
                      could have included Yaap among a list of "armourers" in the credits.

                    • klaus1526
                      Message 10 of 25 , Dec 4, 2003
                        > I don't know if this fits at all, but given the change in subject
                        matter...
                        > I found Timeline to be quite disappointing. Dunno what all you
                        thought, but
                        > it just didn't have a "Crichton" feel like Jurassic Park and
                        Sphere did.
                        > Ok, I'll stop now...
                        >
                        > Kagesue

                        Yeah, I thought Timeline was lacking in "soul". I was never engaged
                        in the movie and really didn't care about the characters. I did read
                        the book, and it was, as usual, far better than the movie.
                        It seems the Timeline was made for the 12-13yr olds and didn't have
                        good acting or dialogue. It was a disappointment.

                        KlausH